New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

New guy here

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 02:45 PM
tired old man
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy here

Hello, I'm new to this forum but not new to owning Chrysler and Dodge vehicles.

We bought our first Neon in '98. When my wife's dad died we inherited his '96 LHS then went on to buy a new '05 Neon and later an '04 Neon.

Many various things have happened since then and currently I have major problems with the '05.

One of my daughters boy friends evidently really liked watching the Dukes of Hazard and seemingly tried to do a General Lee with it.

In short the front end is pretty messed up.

I am still trying to determine exactly what is wrong with the car. I am afraid that the trans-axle is totaled and will need to be replaced. Currently the alloy wheels are stuck to the front hubs. I put a piece of 2X12 against the rim and hit it with an 8 pound hammer and can not get either of them to release. Is there a better way to do this? I thought I could get a pry bar behind the rim and just pick it loose but worry that I will break the wheel.

If it would move under its own power I would try loosening the lug nuts and rocking it back and forth a bit to see if they would pop off bit that is not within the cars ability just now.

Last edited by tired old man; 05-13-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:43 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
You can only hope the transaxle is okay. But you will not know until you can pull the front end out. You can try having the boy friends to help you out. I did the same thing to my son when he cause damage to one of my cars, he was 20 years old when that happen.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:34 AM
tired old man
Veteran

I guess I should have said former boyfriend. After he damaged the car he knew I was pretty upset and was planning legal action so,... being the responsible young adult he was, took off and did a bunch of B&E, wrote several bad checks, and other petty theft in the area.

He will be in the Dixon state pen for around 27 years. I plan to fix or maybe junk the car before that.

But thanks for the idea.

So far all I have managed to do is work up a sweat. I guess I will maybe try to push the car a few feet with one of the others and see if the rust and crap will break loose. I have been putting WD 40 on them for the last few months but it seems to have no effect except for collecting dust.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:56 AM
dodge_98

Dam that sucks! I'd do the samething about the old car first just to be safe