New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

78 W150 Adventurer

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Faol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 78 W150 Adventurer

Howdy. I have had an account here for awhile, but just never posted.

About 18 months ago, I purchased a 1978 W150. It was neglected a bit by the previous owner and needed a couple of things done. I did drive it home from Montgomery, AL, to outside Atlanta, GA.

Original miles: 67,300

It was passed from Air Force retiree, to Air Force retiree. They all attended the same church and were in the men's group there. I have the original buyer's order, which is from a dealer in Montgomery.

I drove it back to Georgia on the interstate, going 65-70 mph. I used my GPS to gauge the actually mph, because the truck speedo showed 10 mph faster than the actual speed, due to the small size of the tires. The tires were dry-rotted, as were the fan belts. There was a hose leak at the steering gear box and the front end wobbled when applying brakes. The previous owner said that the axle needed to be replaced, according to his mechanic. I figured it was the brakes. He said he replaced them, but didn't say anything about the rotor. I figured he didn't turn the rotor when he replaced the pads. I replaced the rotor and bearings when I corrected that, and there is no issue anymore. When I had the wheels and tires put on, I had them align the front end, and they said it was less than 1/4" off...so I figure it wasn't dogged, especially since all 3 of the previous owners were retirees.

It had the original 1970's graphics, which were a dealer option at that time. Two small spots of rust bubbles were behind each of the front wheel wells, and a little cancer in the middle of the front rain rail.

Immediate plans to continue getting Red up to snuff:
  • rebuild the heads (valve seals need to be replaced at minimum)
  • rebuild the carburetor
  • window seals
  • shocks (still have originals on it)
  • figure out what to do about dash and door panels
  • possible headers and exhaust

When purchased:

As it sits now, with new wheels, tires & original color paint:

Old 06-07-2012, 10:43 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome back to Dodge Forum

Truck looks in petty good shape.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:04 AM
deadkenr
Rookie

Looks GREAT! I love that hood!

Old 06-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Faol

I would like to do a build thread on here, in the 1st Gen area. Is that an issue?

I want to replace some items and upgrade others. I would appreciate more experienced owners' input, which is the reason I want to do this.

Quick Reply: 78 W150 Adventurer