New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

New person here -waves- looking to get some good dodge insight

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 04:48 PM
TexasRider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New person here -waves- looking to get some good dodge insight

Hi yall!!! Always been a Chevy man, but looking to possibly get an older model (199-2004) Dodge Dakota. Looking for some insight on these trucks. A mechanic friend of mine told me to stay away from them because of the overhead cam design and the $$$ it can cost to fix if they 'let go' I found a few trucks though I like on craigslist and autotrader...1 is a 1999 club cab 4x4 with 159xxx miles (v8 motor) going for $4200 and another 2004 quad cab with a v6 and 87xxx miles for $6900. Both trucks look to have been maintained well..(I havent seen them personally but both had plenty of pictures with the ad) What are some common ailments of the dakota series as far as the overhead cam? Any other tips and insights about the Dakota series? I like the looks of the Dodge over any other compact truck, but reliability is a big factor! Thanks!!!!

Old 08-08-2012, 11:36 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF

All motors have there problems when they have a problem. The V8 5.2 and 5.9 and the 3.9 V6 have there problems as do the overhead can motors, 3.7 V6 and the 4.7 V8. The way cost is now on cars and trucks, just find the best buy for you.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:16 AM
TexasRider

Originally Posted by master tech
Welcome to DF

All motors have there problems when they have a problem. The V8 5.2 and 5.9 and the 3.9 V6 have there problems as do the overhead can motors, 3.7 V6 and the 4.7 V8. The way cost is now on cars and trucks, just find the best buy for you.
Hey thanks for the reply! So are the 5.2/5.9 v8 and 3.9 v6 the single center cam design? (in the middle of the block) I know everything has its problems..but would like to just stay clear of the overhead cam design. What year did they start using the overhead cam motors?

Old 08-09-2012, 11:37 AM
TRUCKDIVA
Former Vendor

Welcome to the forum! If there are any accessories you are looking for just let me know!

Quick Reply: New person here -waves- looking to get some good dodge insight