New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

98 dodge ram shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 02:22 PM
kb3ldc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 dodge ram shifting problems

i am new to this forum but i have been reading some of the post. my issue is with a 46re tranny that was rebuilt and we installed in my 98 ram 1500 4x4.the transmission wont shift right and i have had a engine code of manufactures control transmission, does anyone have a idea as to what i need to fix this,is it the tcm or could it be something in the valve body,

Old 10-22-2012, 12:21 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
My first question is, Who rebuilted the transmission? Do you know what your codes are?

Old 10-22-2012, 04:49 AM
kb3ldc
Default shifting problem

hi. the man who rebuilt also rebuilds them for dodge race cars,i cant remember the code but i think it was 1791,manufacture control transmission, thanks for the response

Old 10-22-2012, 05:10 AM
kb3ldc
Default shifting problems

a little more information,about 4 years ago i broke the sprague in the transmission,i drove the truck by manually shifting it from low to second,i did not know at the time what was wrong(found out about sprauge later when i talked to rebuilder) i drove truck to aamco they where doing free diagnostic service,they said that my computer would not communicate with there computer, the rebuilder knew what i had done to it before he even saw the transmission. this problem never showed its self until i installed rebuilt unit,i hope this clears up some of you questions,thank you for replying

Old 10-22-2012, 05:12 PM
kb3ldc
Default shifting problem

some more information, after we installed the tranny and filled it with atf plus 4 we went on a road test,the transmission did not want to shift back to low gear after shifting up,somre times it would delay down shift and other times it would shift if i bumped the throttle, when the trouble code came on it would not shift at all until i cleared the code,i broke the tvi cable and am waiting on a new one before i drive it again, after i broke the cable it would not shift to second properly so i parked it thanks for your help

Quick Reply: 98 dodge ram shifting problems