New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

Hello, I'm new. New Ram 3500 Dualy owner and new to the site

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 01:36 AM
PrestonEidsmoe
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello, I'm new. New Ram 3500 Dualy owner and new to the site

Hey, just purchased a Dodge Ram 3500, 4X4, 5 speed, Dually, Goose neck and regular 5th wheel hitch, tow hitch on front with winch and rear bumper hitch. It has the Magnum V10 and so much more. I will see if I can post a few pictures as well.

http://s1306.photobucket.com/user/Pr...ew%20additions

There is a slide show of a few pictures. Looking for the right information on tuning and the best chip to use for fuel improvements and performance. I purchased it to pull a 37' triple axle trailer with triple pop outs and a garage.

Any help would be appreciated. I filled it up when I bought it yesterday. I put 150 miles on it (all types of situations) and got 9.8 miles per gallon. lol Anything to improve that would be great. I travel cross country and plan many future trips. I have not pulled the trailer yet.

My name is Preston

Old 05-30-2013, 09:13 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 336 Likes on 300 Posts

Welcome to DF, Preston. Be sure to check out the 2nd gen Ram section. Lots of good info there. I don't think theres much your going to be abe to do mileage wise.....thats a huge truck with a huge motor...lol...almost 10 mpg sounds good to me.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Don't expect much better gas mileage. It is 8 Liters after all. (and thirsty ones at that...)

Hemifever Tuning can get you a tuner.... give him a call, or PM here on this site, and have a chat with him. If nothing else, he can get you a bit more power for your crappy gas mileage.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:34 PM
PrestonEidsmoe
Professional

Well thanks anyways. I have a chip (actually a computer module) on order. Going to try it out. I found an error code on the computer right now and going to the FAQ area and find that code list. Looks like it was a 12 46 17 55. I believe the 55 is clear (I have had Jeeps before).

Old 06-01-2013, 12:05 AM
PrestonEidsmoe
Professional

Did not find it in your codes or you FAQ section, found it in my paper manual. 12 is the computer was reset, 17 and 46 are actual errors. one is running too cold (it is between 185 and 200 on my best guess off gauge) but not sure it is? The other is over charging. Now I will have to figure out where the voltage regulator (I think that is what I am looking for) is and if it is replaceable.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

What temp thermostat you have in it?

Also, keep in mind, your truck has TWO temp sensors. One for the gauge, the other for the PCM. (PCM sensor is the two wire feller) Need to plug in a scanner, and see what the PCM thinks engine temp is.

Voltage regulator is in the PCM..... if it is bad, need to replace PCM, or, change over to an external regulator. That can be fun to manage without having codes for voltage constantly......

Old 06-02-2013, 07:39 PM
PrestonEidsmoe
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What temp thermostat you have in it?

Also, keep in mind, your truck has TWO temp sensors. One for the gauge, the other for the PCM. (PCM sensor is the two wire feller) Need to plug in a scanner, and see what the PCM thinks engine temp is.

Voltage regulator is in the PCM..... if it is bad, need to replace PCM, or, change over to an external regulator. That can be fun to manage without having codes for voltage constantly......

Okay, that right there is the reason I signed up on this site. I just purchased the truck to haul my trailer that I am in the process of purchasing. So, I have no idea what thermostat. I have not done any wrenching on this vehicle.

I did not know it had 2 temperature sensors. I will have to get more into the book when I get some free time (building 6 tow hitches for motorcycles right now). My gauge says I am running the right temperature from what I can tell. I am defiantly not overheating.

It is starting to sound like I just need to put a new PCM in. If that temperature sensor is bad and the voltage regulator is bad, then a PCM is in order. I have seen some for sale on eBay and I have seen rebuilt ones. Any suggestions? Can you steer me in the right direction? Thank you for your help.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:42 AM
PrestonEidsmoe
Professional

I found this one, it actually looks batter than any others I have found.

http://yhst-21854666697846.stores.ya...ram152531.html

Old 06-03-2013, 11:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Check with your local parts stores, and see if they will match the price. Much better dealing local on parts of that nature.... (in case there are issues.....)

Old 06-04-2013, 12:19 AM
PrestonEidsmoe
Professional

Too late, I already ordered it. I did next day air. I also had the A/C filled. I had to have them put die in it. They said it was empty with no charge either way and they thought it was leaking. That was an extra 100 bucks on top of the 90 something bucks they were already charging me.

1 1996 Dodge
Ram 1500 2500
3500 PCM ECM
ECU Engine
Computer
$208.00 Subtotal: $208.00 Shipping: $45.00 Total: $253.00

I did go to the wrecking yard today, that computer on the ceiling was not working so I picked up another computer and I picked up a glove box so, if the computer did not work this time, I was going to put a glove box in it's place. Well, it started working. So, I have the glove box if it ever goes out. lol If it does, I will never find it.

I also picked up a few little trinkets to fix or replace things I wanted fixed or replaced. They did me right. I had a wheel barrow worth of stuff and only paid $40 bucks. They had a few V10's there. So, if I ever need it...... Also talked to a guy with a 95' Cummings Diesel. He is getting 25mpg. ggggg That is freaking awesome!

Quick Reply: Hello, I'm new. New Ram 3500 Dualy owner and new to the site