New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

Kinda new to Dodges

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 12:34 AM
cheysdaddy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kinda new to Dodges

Just traded my '05 Mustang in for a 2000 Dakota Quad 4x4 w/3.9L. I already own a Caravan and my wife had a 99 Ram Sport when we got married so I'm familiar with Dodges alittle. Just curious as to any issues with the Dakota I might need to watch for or ideas for some cheap mods Thanks

Old 10-25-2005, 01:24 AM
Daksport1pa
Banned
Default RE: Kinda new to Dodges

Welcome to the site. I"m sure we'll be able to help you spend some money on mods.

Old 10-25-2005, 07:44 AM
MGDMike
Champion

Welcome to DF!! Was the Mustang a GT?

Old 10-25-2005, 09:34 AM
thump186
Record Breaker

welcome and enjoy your stay.

Old 10-25-2005, 09:09 PM
cheysdaddy

no V6 but I had upped it to 209hp and 220 lbs/torque at the rear wheels

Old 10-25-2005, 09:35 PM
MGDMike
Champion

Nice! The V6's were rated at 190bhp right?

Old 10-25-2005, 10:21 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

Welcome to the Dakota club!!!! I've personally had the pleasure of owning 2 Dakota's and they are awesome trucks. I'd rather have a Dakota then a Ram to be honest, least the gas powered ones anyways!!!!

The main issues with the Dakota at least between 99-03 is the ball joints. I would take your vin# and look it up on www.dodge.com to see if your truck has a recall, needs it performed, or if your truck wasnt in need of it. Certain trucks did not need the replacement but were given an extended 10 yr warranty on those parts. I know, my 01 Dakota got the warranty.

Beyond that, I've heard of very little that really affects the Dakota. Each truck of course has it's issues, but this is one truck you wont be too upset about!

Oh, definitely change out the factory rotors/brakes to mid-level/midgrade aftermarket rotors/brakes. The OEM one's are horrible and arent worth a sh*t. Going to an aftermarket set will reduce brake dust and also improve your braking and extend the life of your brakes/rotors. I would also do that on anything you purchased from Chrysler/Dodge. They use an almost inferior quality metal for their rotors and the brakes just eat them alive.

Good luck with your Dakota and welcome to DodgeForum!!!!

Old 10-26-2005, 02:00 AM
Disgorilla
Veteran

Welcome to DF,

Old 10-26-2005, 06:12 PM
DakotaStone
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

Welcome to the Dakota club!!!! I've personally had the pleasure of owning 2 Dakota's and they are awesome trucks. I'd rather have a Dakota then a Ram to be honest, least the gas powered ones anyways!!!!

The main issues with the Dakota at least between 99-03 is the ball joints. I would take your vin# and look it up on www.dodge.com to see if your truck has a recall, needs it performed, or if your truck wasnt in need of it. Certain trucks did not need the replacement but were given an extended 10 yr warranty on those parts. I know, my 01 Dakota got the warranty.

Beyond that, I've heard of very little that really affects the Dakota. Each truck of course has it's issues, but this is one truck you wont be too upset about!

Oh, definitely change out the factory rotors/brakes to mid-level/midgrade aftermarket rotors/brakes. The OEM one's are horrible and arent worth a sh*t. Going to an aftermarket set will reduce brake dust and also improve your braking and extend the life of your brakes/rotors. I would also do that on anything you purchased from Chrysler/Dodge. They use an almost inferior quality metal for their rotors and the brakes just eat them alive.

Good luck with your Dakota and welcome to DodgeForum!!!!

Welcome to DF. I'm on my second Dak also. My first one was a 99 Sport. Never had any problems with it other than the ball joints. When I took it in to have the front end realigned, Dodge told me that they couldn't without replacing the joints. This was just before they did the recall.

My second Dak is an 05 and I love it. Almost crunched it a couple of times because of traffic out here in the Portland/Vancouver area. Nobody out here knows how to drive.

Anyway, have fun with it. You can find all kinds of great aftermarket stuff. A couple links here in the Forum will take you to the sites you want. One to check out is www.KRCPerformance.com. They specialize in Daks and Rams.
I can't

Old 10-26-2005, 06:35 PM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the site!! Thanks for joining!!

~Amanda

Quick Reply: Kinda new to Dodges