New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

I'm new here and I have a question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 11:40 PM
99neon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm new here and I have a question...

Hey there, I'm new to this forum. I've had my '99 Neon sohc for about a year now and I've done a few things to it. The question I have is that I just ordered a mopar performance PCM and I was wondering if there were any other changes that I might need to do after installing it, such as wider gaps on my plugs or anything of that nature? Any help would be appreciated

Old 04-20-2004, 11:44 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Default RE: I'm new here and I have a question...

Intake (air) and exhaust modifications are the most cost effective way to go...your gap will depend somewhat on your plug choice...see your owners manual and/or the sticker on the inside of your hood....amd welcome to DF!!!!!!![sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 04-20-2004, 11:50 PM
JC
Professional

Welcome to DF! =-P

Old 04-20-2004, 11:53 PM
99neon

I've already got a CAI and Exhaust, I was just wondering if I would need wider gaps than with stock after putting in the PCM. Thanks for the answer and the welcome

Old 04-20-2004, 11:55 PM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

Your PCM should adjust to your engine, not vice versa....so you'll be OK if you've checked the gap recently...

Old 04-21-2004, 12:06 AM
99neon

Cool, thanks again Like I said, I've had the neon for about a year now and it's kind of a learning experience for me as far as performance upgrades go. I just now put on a 52mm throttle body from an automatic and I must say I felt a huge difference in power and response which is nice since I only got the part for $30 So far I have no complaints about the car, but I must say I wish I could afford the SRT-4...

Old 04-21-2004, 12:14 AM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

It's a no-win situation, you'd be doing the same thing to your SRT-4 as you're doing to your present car....just have fun and enjoy!!![sm=smiley4.gif]

Old 04-21-2004, 12:20 AM
99neon

lol that's true, but sooner or later, whenever I come into a good chunk of money, I'd like to put a turbo kit on this car, would've been nice to start out with one not to mention the almost 100hp more from the get go

Old 04-21-2004, 07:34 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to DF! The best mod you can do to the SOHC is a Crane cam for it. After that the Indy intake manifold would liven it up a great deal.

Old 04-23-2004, 10:19 PM
red91RT
Veteran

Ditto from Roadrunner. don't bother with the first step #010 cam--it's practically a stock replacement for what you'd get out of it. But the #2 . . . oh boy. Now THAT you will feel on the top end.

Just so you understand: the PCM advances the ignition timing and some can potentially flow more fuel (by holding the injector pulse for a longer duration). The PCM isn't going to up the voltage going out of your coil and down that spark wire.

There's a few things you can do it you want to actually get MORE spark. First of course is get wires with less resistance. There are several 7, 8 and even 8.8 MM wires for the SOHC. I ran 8.8 for a while but was getting interferance and so switched to Accel 7 MM and spent only about 27$ for those. Second, you can change the ignition itself. If you're not dealing with California smog then you can get the Digital ignition kits (for some fair amount of $$) or use the MSD 6A style ignitions (multispark at lower revs). The 6A I used on my Jimmy required an extra adapter for tachs on Neons, but on my GM it did not. It was about $125 or so and it made a difference. I'm not so sure I could "feel" it but I noticed it climbing hills, starting (old engine with a lot of miles) and actually obtained another 1 to 1.5 MPG on average for the first 30,000 miles of use.

Good luck with all your mods.

Quick Reply: I'm new here and I have a question...