2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 Ram 2500 47RE solenoids/valve body

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 10:12 PM
Error918
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Ram 2500 47RE solenoids/valve body

have a 1996 Dodge Ram Magnum 2500 it has the 8.0 V10, 149,000
I have these codes

P0743
P1762
P0152
P0500

I purchased this few months ago starting out in 2nd, and he said it always shut back off after it started, I never had that issue, so I get a rebuilt valve body for the 47RE, think they sent a salvaged one that’s been power washed but anywho, it’s installed... now it seems to need the TV cable adjustment?? I did what I could but I am sure I need to play with it more to fine tune it, but inside the transmission, there is the adjustment for the valve that the tv cable pulls and pushes in and out ... and then outside ( the cable) is it necessary to adjust both ?? And the solenoid issue, I was advised to get the GM version but I am not sure what that part or item may be found at, also the ABS light is on and I replaced the rear sensor On the shaft so many times it doesn’t go away; is that something that has to be manually deleted with scan tool or would it go away on it own if fixed ?? so with that said, I shall pull the pan off again and replace them again or is there something else or a adjustment I need to start with ?? It does seem to shift and drive I had it on highway and city driving, highway 60 mph the RPMs were around 2800 if I re call , no high rpm that would scare someone, but yet it still seems it starts in 2nd, or just like the brake is on lightly, but then it goes towards the end of the gear and shifts to its next .. but that could just be the TV cable needing more adjustment I am told ... oh and now the speed odometer kinda quit; it’s trying to work but it’s not ... so abs light on, feels it’s starting in 2nd after replaced valve body with new solenoids from Amazon ( that may be my issue too lol) speed odometer not working... I read there are many issues with this and I am new to dodge so any help is very much appreciated.

Old 01-03-2021, 09:41 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,210 Likes on 2,961 Posts

Moving this to second gen ram section for ya.

First two codes are for the trans. Combined, they imply a wiring issue. Take a look at the 8 pin connector where it goes down into the top of the valve body. (on the outside of the trans, drivers side, about halfway back.) The wires sometimes pull out of the connector, and you get weird behavior.

When you replace the valve body, did you replace the internal trans electronics as well?

P0152 is for O2 sensor, bank 2 (passenger side) sensor 1. That one is important..... it has a pretty profound affect on fuel mixture, so, you really want that one working. If you have a scanner that can read live data, take a look at what that sensor is doing. If you don't have one, you need to get one.

p0500 is a VSS code. On your truck, the vehicle speed sensor is on the tailshaft of the trans, or transfer case, depending on if you have two or four wheel drive. Does your speedometer work?

Old 01-03-2021, 01:22 PM
Error918
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Miles is about 210,000, I got the codes and such with scan tool, my issues are that I replaced those items ( not o2 sensor) and it stills seems to have issues starting out like brake is on, after like ... maybe 5 mph it finally acts right, but taking off its like brake is on, dang abs light is still on after 5 sensors putting in, rear drive shaft is new, side of trans is new ... I am wondering if I am missing something ... I know the tv cable plays a vital role but adjusting it, well I did on valve body it’s self first so it’s right on it, and a 1/8 or so play between it hitting valve and doing it’s thing Then I went to adjust in engine, I may need to adjust it more .. but I am new to dodge and yes I knew of these issues but not that they are this complicated, I did order a GM conversation block but for the fact that others even replaced their abs light sensor ( rear shaft) and solenoids and still have issues like I am, just wondering what we are missing ... some are saying ground cable, I see some about some K80 relay fuse and others connections and then bad solenoids, I haven’t tried to punch it to floor, I will go out and mess with it now and see, that’s something I need to do but haven’t

Old 01-03-2021, 03:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,210 Likes on 2,961 Posts

2 or 4 wheel drive?

Your vehicle speed sensor (what the code is whining about) is on the trans, or transfer case. The sensor on the rear diff is just for ABS. The signal return wire from the VSS splits at some point, one goes to the cluster, for the speedo, the other goes to the PCM. If the PCM isn't getting a good signal from the VSS, shifting is going to be wrong........ You are probably starting in second gear......

The O2 code is an entirely separate issue. (probably....)

Old 01-04-2021, 06:38 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 352 Likes on 331 Posts

After you replace anything you need to clear the codes, Just replacing a part is not going to remove the fault code(ABS also).

Quick Reply: 96 Ram 2500 47RE solenoids/valve body