2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Alternator Upgrade Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 04:49 PM
FiveNine Motorsports
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Upgrade Help

Hey yall, Im looking to upgrade my alternator on my 96 1500 5.9 mag and need some help regarding the voltage regulation. The alternator im looking at is a "single wire" , internally regulated and prouduces 170 amps (Summit racing part # Powermaster 433111)

With this part being internally regulated it does not have the field terminals like the OEM one does and i wont have to worry about it pumping 16v to the whole electronics system. I am wondering, would I run into any issues bypassing the PCM voltage regulator? I have not been able to find any thing regarding bypassing the PCM with internal regulation, only a few idiots asking if they can bypass without any regulation. My concern isn't on the regulation, its with the PCM itself, would the truck not run properly or not run at all with those 2 field terminals not being hooked up?

Here is a write up someone made which explains the wiring of the 2nd gen charging system. Take note of his wiring diagram and where he explains what the field terminals do

https://www.cumminsforum.com/threads/alternator-not-charging-testing-voltage-control.2366185/

I probably could have explained this better but its been a long day and i cant use words good right now, any help would be much appreciated. And if you need to ask some questions for better understanding of what im looking for, please ask!

Old 01-02-2021, 10:55 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

Out of curiosity, why the need for the additional amps? The factory alternator puts out either 90 or 120 amps, depending on which one you have.

Old 01-03-2021, 08:48 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 364 Likes on 342 Posts

It will work only the pcm won't be regulating it. I believe there are other options that are bolt in that use external regulation(pcm). You may want to explain why you need the extra amps.

Old 01-03-2021, 09:09 AM
FiveNine Motorsports

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Out of curiosity, why the need for the additional amps? The factory alternator puts out either 90 or 120 amps, depending on which one you have.
The extra amps will be needed since I'm building a full blown pre runner. I will be running a lot of large coolers with large electric fans, multiple lighting sources, lots of interior electronic accessories, as well as a pretty powerful sound system running 2 amps (one for all the speakers and 1 for the subwoofers), on top of a few other things here and there.
Essentially im expecting to always be running a large load on the charging system, And I want the extra amps as to not run into any issues

Old 01-03-2021, 09:12 AM
FiveNine Motorsports

Originally Posted by Moparite
It will work only the pcm won't be regulating it. I believe there are other options that are bolt in that use external regulation(pcm). You may want to explain why you need the extra amps.
Check my reply to atomic dog there is my explanation as to why I will be needing the extra amps.

Regarding external regulators, I wouldn't be needing one since the alternator is internally regulated and does not require an aftermarket external regulator. I just don't want to have any issues and/or fry my PCM since it will have those 2 field terminals disconnected

Old 01-03-2021, 09:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Shouldn't be a problem. Only issue I can see is, the check engine light will likely stay on...... Maybe.

Is the regulator in the PCM bad? You can get high output alternators that will work with the stock PCM.......

Old 01-03-2021, 10:07 AM
FiveNine Motorsports

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Shouldn't be a problem. Only issue I can see is, the check engine light will likely stay on...... Maybe.

Is the regulator in the PCM bad? You can get high output alternators that will work with the stock PCM.......
My CEL is already permanently on from all the mods ive put on it so far (might just have to pull the light bulb LOL)
My PCM regulator isnt bad to my knowledge, i have recently read that it is a pretty common issue for the 2nd gens. I would definitely like to go OEM replacement with a high output, but i haven't found anything in all of my extensive searching, highest ive found so far was a 120 amp if i remember correctly. Ive even heard of people swapping jeep alternators in the rams since they had a higher output for the E-fans, but still not much info on that either

Old 01-03-2021, 10:14 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I find a bunch of 'em on Amazon..... Have a look at
this one this one

Old 01-03-2021, 10:23 AM
FiveNine Motorsports

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I find a bunch of 'em on Amazon..... Have a look at this one.
Amazon is the one place i didn't even think about checking out
Ill have to take a look around there. 250 is quite a bump up from the stock 120 and even the 170 i was looking at. Would 250 potentially be too much?

Old 01-03-2021, 10:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I do believe they are 'on demand' type alternators. I.E. If it doesn't need to, it doesn't put it out. Of course, I have been wrong before....... They have a variety of different outputs available. Get one that will meet your needs, and not empty your pockets. Be sure to upgrade the feed wire from the alternator, to the battery, and also the fuse in the power distribution center.

Quick Reply: Alternator Upgrade Help