New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

New owner from Down Under

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2023, 08:40 PM
CopoCommodore
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner from Down Under

New RAM 1500 owner from Melbourne, Australia.

1500 Classic converted to Right Hand drive locally.
Standard, but have headers and full exhaust system to fit in the near future.
Bought to tow a small enclosed race car trailer.

Old 10-10-2023, 09:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,189 Likes on 2,942 Posts

Watch the weight. Though, some of the newer half ton trucks can tow more than the older one tons.....

The following users liked this post:
CopoCommodore (10-10-2023)
Old 10-10-2023, 11:55 PM
CopoCommodore

On it, down here they're legal to tow 4500kg, but my trailer will be 3500kg (7700Lb) so we should be all good.

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Watch the weight. Though, some of the newer half ton trucks can tow more than the older one tons.....

Old 10-11-2023, 10:43 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 575 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by CopoCommodore
On it, down here they're legal to tow 4500kg, but my trailer will be 3500kg (7700Lb) so we should be all good.

Be sure to set your equipment up right. Electric brakes are your friend in hills if you have the manual over ride lever to engage them independent of the truck brakes. You'll also want an equalizer hitch set up. These go into the Class III receiver and use bars to take weight off the rear and transfer it to the front of your truck. Mine cost about $350 U.S. back around 1990. This keeps the wiggles down. Then you don't have to beat that bump in the seat down where it got sucked up. These aren't cheap hitches but are worth every penny. Lastly, disengage the overdrive when pulling a load. Your transmission will thank you for it. Somethung else to consider, heat is the main killer of automatic transmissions, so add an auxiliary cooler in front of the radiator.

I think the newer equalizer hitches are easier to use than my old one.

Last edited by ol' grouch; 10-11-2023 at 10:46 AM. Reason: i kant spel wurth a durn!
Old 10-11-2023, 02:37 PM
CopoCommodore

Thanks grouch.

I've been towing race car trailers for 30yrs and previously owned an LML Silverado, but sold it due to divorce. This is my return to racing after 6yrs away from the sport.

I have airbags to go in the back and a load equalising Haymen Reece hitch. The new trailer also has electric brakes on both axles. 😎

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Be sure to set your equipment up right. Electric brakes are your friend in hills if you have the manual over ride lever to engage them independent of the truck brakes. You'll also want an equalizer hitch set up. These go into the Class III receiver and use bars to take weight off the rear and transfer it to the front of your truck. Mine cost about $350 U.S. back around 1990. This keeps the wiggles down. Then you don't have to beat that bump in the seat down where it got sucked up. These aren't cheap hitches but are worth every penny. Lastly, disengage the overdrive when pulling a load. Your transmission will thank you for it. Somethung else to consider, heat is the main killer of automatic transmissions, so add an auxiliary cooler in front of the radiator.

I think the newer equalizer hitches are easier to use than my old one.

Old 10-11-2023, 06:45 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 575 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by CopoCommodore
Thanks grouch.

I've been towing race car trailers for 30yrs and previously owned an LML Silverado, but sold it due to divorce. This is my return to racing after 6yrs away from the sport.

I have airbags to go in the back and a load equalising Haymen Reece hitch. The new trailer also has electric brakes on both axles. 😎

Sounds like you have it covered. I've seen guys pull loads I wouldn't pull with anything less than a 1 1/2 ton truck with a Ford Ranger. About like a Toyota Hilux truck. No, it didn't work very well. I would reiterate the need for a good extra cooler for the transmission though if you don't already have one.

The following users liked this post:
CopoCommodore (10-11-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 10:51 AM
William Scott
Professional
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice truck ! Welcome aboard

Last edited by William Scott; 10-25-2023 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-26-2023, 07:20 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Welcome!

Quick Reply: New owner from Down Under