2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear Wheel Growl?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2024, 06:02 PM
GL-AZ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Wheel Growl?

I'm not sure how best to describe this, but here goes.
I have a 2001 Ram 2500 2wd diesel that on hard tight left turns like in a parking lot I feel a strange growl (not really a noise) in the left rear wheel. This has been doing it for three years. I've had the rear end fluid changed and the rear end inspected, but they said it was fine. I first suspected a tire but have since replaced all four. It kinda feels like I'm going over a marbley road. Does not do it at any speeds forward or back. I generally know what a bad wheel bearing feels like as I've had to replace some on other vehicles. However I've never had one go on like this for so long and only in tight turns. BTW, front end has also been inspected and is good. Any thoughts other than tearing down the wheel and inspecting the bearings?

Old 05-06-2024, 06:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,212 Likes on 2,963 Posts

Jack up the rear, spin it by hand, how does it feel? Wiggle it in various directions, is there any slop?

Inspecting really isn't that bad, if a bit stinky......

Old 05-06-2024, 06:15 PM
GL-AZ

I'm going to jack it up and check it this evening. I'll let you know.

Old 05-06-2024, 07:04 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by GL-AZ
I'm not sure how best to describe this, but here goes.
I have a 2001 Ram 2500 2wd diesel that on hard tight left turns like in a parking lot I feel a strange growl (not really a noise) in the left rear wheel. This has been doing it for three years. I've had the rear end fluid changed and the rear end inspected, but they said it was fine. I first suspected a tire but have since replaced all four. It kinda feels like I'm going over a marbley road. Does not do it at any speeds forward or back. I generally know what a bad wheel bearing feels like as I've had to replace some on other vehicles. However I've never had one go on like this for so long and only in tight turns. BTW, front end has also been inspected and is good. Any thoughts other than tearing down the wheel and inspecting the bearings?

A Sur-grip rear will sometimes have a slight shudder. I don't hear mine growl but I do feel the shudder. I'm also deaf as a post. You might just need a friction mollifier in your rear end.

Old 05-07-2024, 06:04 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 352 Likes on 331 Posts

Assuming this is an open rear i would suspect an issue with the spider gears. They turn the fastest in turns. When the fluid was changed what did it look like?

Old 05-07-2024, 12:09 PM
GL-AZ

The shop that changed the fluid and checked it out said everything looked good. They said they couldn't see a problem. The shop came highly recommended. Even tho, I'm looking to find another shop that specializes in rear ends.

Last edited by GL-AZ; 05-07-2024 at 12:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Growl?