New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

2wd to awd

Search this Thread

Old Today, 04:45 PM
Neet
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2wd to awd

How hard would it be to turn my 2006 ram 1500 4.7l into awd where instead of option 2wd to 4wd, it'll just be awd all the time.....?parts needed and how hard the task?

Old Today, 04:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,363 Likes on 3,105 Posts

2wd now? That's gonna be some work.... cutting and welding on the frame, etc.... then you just (yeah... ."just"....) need to right trans and t-case, front axle/suspension, and you are set. A LOT of work. Would likely end up being cheaper just buying a truck that already has that feature.....

Old Today, 07:50 PM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker
Received 65 Likes on 64 Posts

Finding the AWD transfer will be the hard part, I'm not sure if other chassis cases would fit or not. There was an AWD case option in the early 3rd gen. I would imagine you could make it functions off the 4wd controls, however im not sure if there was electronics involved in the front axle that locked/unlocked or just in the case itself.

Like mentioned lots of front fab work though. Better be committed to bologna sandwiches, 2nd jobs and the love of the truck.

Quick Reply: 2wd to awd