Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

Supercharger vs. Twin Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 11:48 AM
highrevr/tflea
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Supercharger vs. Twin Turbo

SR20SDET bud...not DE and the ka is still a good reliable motor...Its the QR25DE owners I know that wish they never had em in their SER and seriously want to ditch their car...you can still do a lot to em but I think Steve Millen And all other parts for that motor are obscenely priced... unless the aftermark got broader...I loved the way my ALTY ka ran...so smooth and the parts were cheap. Kudos though on the swap... it takes some know how and time to work on Nissan's engineering cluster f**ks...I know Ive worked on about 5 of em in the past three years...Not FUN @ all.... well I kinda like the pathfinder VG35DE engine I replaced but that was a little better then subframe drops.

Old 11-12-2005, 03:21 PM
X_Spearmint
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I said the DE because the T just stands for turbo. the motor itself is weaker. To be fair you'd have to throw a turbo on each of the other motors before you can make an accurate comparison. You can't really compare a turbo and a non-turbo engine.
I didn't do the swap myself, I wish I had that kind of know how or that kind of time. Took a hell of a lot of customizing.
Have you taken a look at the VQ35DE? it's lighter than the KA24DE and the 350Z version pushes out about 290hp(maxima 265, alty 245). I'd have loved to have gotten my hands on one of those, but the price for one was outrageous, I got a steal on the QR block($250) and tranny($350) makes a little more sense on why I went with that engine now though, doesn't it.

Old 11-13-2005, 08:10 AM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

lol....yeah...whatd they do make the VQ all aluminum???

Old 12-01-2005, 01:12 PM
stormer426
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK there, kinda late but Turbocharge has the potential to make more power than belt driven supercharger, parasitic power loss aside both methods increase inlet temp which is the downside of both systems but turbocharged and vortech/paxton like engines can increase efficency via intercooling, but two turbos (my thinking is limited to over 300c.i. hence twin) will out perform any other system that is properly sized and intercooled, now that the new and improved Rotrex things are available in the U.S. market this could change.

Bottom line is selection of components on any type of pressure adding system is what dictates the power gain, most kits are well reseached before being packaged, but all cars and right foot's are different. I've never used a "kit" I've used bits and pieces to make the components snuggle up to each other but as far as the compressor of choice goes I'm happy that Vortech and Turbonetics are less than a 30 minute drive from here! I have done more roots supercharging and turbocharging than messed with other systems and can attest to the proper pulley tooth count/belts for roots and exhaust side housing tuning for turbo's are the keys to making it happen in a hurry!

What makes turbocharging (dare I say it) better is the tune ability of the compressor where the inlet side is the base line for your desired power output (pressure ratio) and the exhaust side seleted for the power range of which more than one can be used changing the hot side on a turbo is pretty simple so you have a beat the **** out of it boost and drive around boost via housing change.

Dollar for dollar and driving about on pump gas puts the turbo far ahead of the other choices.

Finger tired now, have to go put a turbo on a Miata today!

Old 12-03-2005, 05:24 PM
Rome sky
Rookie

I like superchargers better, it only really matters about manifold pressure. Now getting that boost can be different. The superchager seems to have linear power growth over the ban. The lastest turbos can be pretty good.With turbos you have to worry about heat, and heat is the enemy. I love superchargers, but just thought I would write my side of the story.

Quick Reply: Supercharger vs. Twin Turbo