Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

Supercharger vs. Twin Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 02:47 PM
Avenger39
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger vs. Twin Turbo

Which would produce the largest gain in hp?

Old 05-26-2005, 03:01 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Supercharger vs. Twin Turbo

all if the NHRA FI cars run superchargers...enough said. However, for an avenger, if that is what you are going for, a turbo setup will be more likely to come across unless Ripp Mods makes a SC for you. Turbo is trendy, and pro-turbo people will say its better due to less parasitic loss, but it creates more engine heat, and with a SC there is no spool time. but then again...I have a turbo car in my posession...

Old 05-27-2005, 01:18 AM
Avenger39
Professional

i wasn't planning on supercharging or twin turboing (is that a word?) my avenger. maybe turbo later on. i just wanted to know which had more power.

Old 05-27-2005, 08:40 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

the supercharger has more potential....and it is less hastle. for my car, you mount the supercharger, attatch the filter, run the pipe to the MAFS and back to the TB and run the belt...however, to get more performance, with any forced induction system it is best to beef up the internals, new injectors, new fuel management, so on....there is only one available for my car, from Ripp Mods, and they charge something like 5800.00..

here is a picture of it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2745/18FF6465DD3C409FB0AA2D3B0BBDC73F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-27-2005, 08:45 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

sorry to double post..but i thought id post a pic of a before and after of the RT engine with the Ripp blower.
the first pic is my engine, and the circled unit is the mass air flow sensor. in the second picture, the MAFS is circled in green.
the supercharger itself is circled in red, the drive pulley is in yellow, and the blow off valve is in blue. this guy who owns the silver car pictured here had some 9800.00 tied up in it between the ECU, headers, supercharger, and clutch..

thats why mine isnt Ripp'd.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2745/2BDEB4A4D7EB4411A80B7D57197A3FE5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2745/E76C52429E0A4A83BBF6FA602D6891CF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-30-2005, 11:40 PM
ramfan5.9
Hall Of Fame

you have a blower on your stratus?

Old 05-30-2005, 11:55 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

no..i wish..if you look closer, the one on the bottom is silver...it was taken last year at the mopar nationals...he is "Ripp'd" which i what they say when they have the Ripp Supercharger. i wouldnt pay 9800 bucks to build my car..i dont have 9800 bucks in the mirada...

Old 05-31-2005, 07:08 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Twin turbo's will easily beat supercharging, most times a single turbo is better than supercharging. Top fuel and funny cars don't have time for turbos to spool up, they need the instant power that is there from the beginning like the supercharger provides. If it weren't for the spooling up and the tremendous heat from their fuel, they might be more powerful with turbocharging, but that would need to be tested. So, until then the most powerful is supercharging, but with most applications turbocharging provides the most power and for the least money. With supercharging you have one, but with turbocharging you can have many, imagine a V8 with a turbo per cylinder and the power it would create.

Old 05-31-2005, 03:31 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

i dobt buy it...i dont know how you turbo guys think that its so much cheaper...for instance, my RT.

there is a guy at 2g with twin turbo...not in sequence. he had to have custom manifolds made...buy the turbos, route the piping through the engine bay...buy an entire new exhaust system for the added length due to the turbos...EGT gauge and probes, plus all of the neccessary items such as a higher capacity fuel pump, injectors, so on...

or

i can call ripp, and with the addition of a new serp belt, and the new fuel items, im done...other than adding a ATF gauge and boost gauge, which youd want in both forms...no altering the exhaust, no having to wedge piping between things to get to the TB..so on.

Old 06-02-2005, 04:10 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never said anything about the cost. But since you brought it up, for the price of that supercharger I could easily have turbocharged the R/T I had to the point of tripling it's power or I could get a turbo kit for my SRT-4 that bumps it up to over 400 WHP and have money left over to burn. Not to mention the $9,800 set up, I bet the twin turbo guy has less in his car and makes far more power and if he doesn't, he should.

Your taking one single example and looking at it from strictly that point, your not looking at it from the broader and more likely point. The guy in your example didn't buy a kit that was made for his car, he did it from scratch where everything has to be fabricated on the fly and is not already made for it. And I also never claimed that turbocharging was easier to do either, it is almost always more work to turbocharge than to supercharge. Price also varys between the two even though they are sometimes around the same price, but supercharging is often more expensive as well as producing less gains or producing less gains for the same money. But then again the question posed only asked which produces the largest horsepower gains, which almost always is turbocharging.

A proper and fair example would be a car which has both types of forced induction already made in a complete kit available where you need nothing else and no added fabrication. It will also vary quite a bit by vehicle as well. Some supercharger kits give very little added power to the point of being a complete waste of money and others give big gains which are usually far more expensive. Turbocharger kits give good power increases even on the low level stuff and huge gains, often doubling or more, the horsepower. In both types the really high end kits require the engine to be rebuilt for it.

So to answer the question, "Which would produce the largest gain in hp?"
Technically: Supercharging (but only if you have a V8 and the money it takes to build it up to the pro stock drag level)
Realistically: Turbocharging (in any real world street driven car this is by far the most powerful way to go)

Quick Reply: Supercharger vs. Twin Turbo