Non-Dodge Members Rides Do you have a non-Dodge that youd like to show off on the forum? This is the place to post information about your nonner!

I think i have a major problem with my transmission.. need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 09:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

That's kinda what makes me think it may be T-case related... the trans shouldn't be doing much of anything without the engine running..... no hydraulic pressure to operate anything.

Really need to figger out if it is really the trans, or the t-case.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:01 PM
1986JEEP
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put the t-case nutral tnd run the trany and see if you get the noise if you have none it is proble the t-case.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:28 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

have you inspected your tranny fluid? Do you offroad in that thing? have you hit any good sized bumps or otherwise jarred the hades out of it? Have you checked your coolant?

I have a buddy who has a YJ, and just dropped a 4.0 in it.. his heat exchange gave, and he was pulling coolant into the tranny.. he wasted a tranny in about a mile.. I ask this because it certainly sounds like your gurgling.. as in air is being introduced somewhere somehow.. Have you followed the heat exchange lines to see if there is any weeping? if you're pulling air, it has to go somewhere in there, right? The top is a likely culprit?

I'm just tossin' stuff at it to see if anything sticks.. this is pretty interesting..

Old 08-12-2011, 11:54 PM
candymancan
Veteran

Transmission is completetly by passed from the main radiator into its own aux cooler. no way coolant is in it. Tranny fluid color was pink and in the middle of the OK mark..

I tried to drive the Jeep put the tranny in neutral and then put the transfercase in neutral but sometimes when i move to the neutral mark it says LOW instead... not sure putting it into low while going faster then 5mph is a good idea.. I dont off -road its strictly a drive to work and grocery store Jeep. I have hit anything or curbs either.

You guys arent the only ones thinking its the transfercase... mm i dunno I'll to pop it into neutral again.. just worried if i try it while coasting at like 30mph it might jump to low and really **** it up then.

Question, assuming this were the front pump on the transmission, wouldnt the noise go away when the transmission is in neutral and the engine is shut off when im rolling on the road ? Because it doesnt.

Another question is the shifter handle, something is causing major vibrations and knocking noises under the Jeep. On top of the other noise. It feals like something is about to break lose and fall off the Jeep it rattles really bad. If i put my hand on the shifter handle i can feal it coming through that..

How exactly is the shifter handle put together ? Is it attached to a linkage like the transfercase handle is ? What would cause rattling to vibrate through the transmission shifter handle ??

Last edited by jasonw; 08-15-2011 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Merging double posts.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

I would crawl under there and have a look. I think the t-case shifter is actually hard-mounted TO the t-case...... so it would conduct any nastyness rather well. I think you need to get the truck up on jackstands, and run it that way, and see what you can see.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:50 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You have a completely different transfer case on that Jeep, than what we have in our Rams. It uses a 249 transfer case, as opposed to a 231 or 241for that matter. Nothing applies, period. There is a viscous coupler on that 249 that might be bad. Which none of us have. I suggest you go here and get better info. http://www.jeepforum.com/

Old 08-14-2011, 03:57 PM
candymancan
Veteran

The VC is brand new, i replaced it. If the VC were bad it would cause power 50/50 all the time but nothing else.

As far as the shifter handle im talking about the transmission shifter handle not the transfercase. The rattles and vibration im fealing underthere (scary btw i dont even want to drive it anymore now) i can feal through the transmission shifter. Thats why im asking you guys, you have the same transmission as I do, trust me i have the same thread all over the internet this is really important and getting scary to drive otherwise i wouldnt ask here

Last edited by candymancan; 08-14-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:15 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I highly doubt it's a tranny problem. Did you go to the Jeep forum I posted?

Old 08-14-2011, 05:07 PM
candymancan
Veteran

Ok guys i fixed it... you wont believe what it was haha...

The fuel line as someone mentioned earlier goes directly above the transmission.. Aparently there are brackets on the line that bolt into stuff to keep the line stable. Well there is a bracket directly below the tcase and tranny shifter levers... I just found that bracket on mine the bolt was gone.. Musta rattled loose.
That bracket is like MM below the floor board on the shifter handles so when i was driving it was bumping rattling against the floor board... I twisted the bracket down outa the way and took it for a test drive just now... Boom poping vibrating, grinding noises are gone. Slushing slurping noises are gone as well.
So it wasnt the tranny, it was a stupid peice of crap bracket... I guess when i moved the black sheethed line connect to the TV cable lever outa the way on top of the tranny it also dislodged it from the fuel line, and since that was the only thing keeping that fuel line bracket from vibrating on stuff thats how all these noises started..
Funny huh ?

Now onto the next project.... the stupid waterpump is leaking coolant... AHHG, i had just replaced the blown timing cover gasket, and also replaced the water pump gasket while i was at it 3 weeks ago. Since i was down there trying to fix my so called tranny problem i noticed green gelled coolant going down the water pump.... geeze this sucks..

Last edited by candymancan; 08-14-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:16 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Moving this thread to its appropriate spot.

Quick Reply: I think i have a major problem with my transmission.. need help