Non-Dodge Members Rides Do you have a non-Dodge that youd like to show off on the forum? This is the place to post information about your nonner!

I think i have a major problem with my transmission.. need help

Old 08-12-2011, 02:10 PM
candymancan
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think i have a major problem with my transmission.. need help

This is for my Jeep with the 5.9 magnum and 46re transmission same as the dodge...

So 2 days ago i started hearing what sounded like grinding/slurping noises under the shifter. Not so much grinding its almost like slurping or hissing or something.

Now today its doing it again cept much worse, and on top of that its now poping or vibrating i can feal it when i put my hand on the shifter handle. The poping noise is pretty bad too i was showing my step dad and it was horrible i can feal something clunking underneeth, and it felt like something was going to fall off my Jeep.

I tried putting it into neutral and the hissing/slurping/grinding whatever noise is still there and if i rev the engine when rolling on the road in neutral it gets worse. It does it in drive, 2-1 ect.. overdrive, overdrive off, torque converter locked and not locked.

The hissing noise also gets louder right before its about to shift into a new gear... I dunno this is getting scary because im un employed now and i have no money and I cant fix a transmission if this is what it is... Im suspecting its the torque converter.. It hasnt slipped once, or have delayed engagement in drive or reverse. It also shifts gears 1-3, OD, and lock like clock work..

I tried going on the parkway and WOT went like 90mph, it shifted through all the gears including OD just fine...

I dunno... Someone please help me

Old 08-12-2011, 02:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

can you get some audio of it?

What transfer case do you have in there??

Old 08-12-2011, 03:08 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

+1... sounds like transfer case prob not tranny.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:12 PM
candymancan
Veteran

The Grand Cherokee 1998 5.9 V8 magnum 46re. It has a Dana 30 front, Dana 44A rear LSD. With the NV249 transfercase.

I should also note, that 2 days ago prior to all this happening my Jeep was squeeking underneeth. I thought it was suspension went down wiggled stuff. Found out it was coming from the tranny. It was coming from a black sheethed cable. The cable connects to the throttle valve lever where the TV return spring is at. After that lever there is another cable connected to it that goes up on top of the transmission. That cable was rubbing on something making the squeeking, since i moved it a little the noise went away.

Then a few hours later all this poping/ slurping/grindingish noises started happening directly under the shift handle in the Jeep. I just went down there again and pushed up on the tranny and it was poping on top. I reached up there started to wiggle stuff and the poping i believe went away.. But that slurping/whirring or whatever noise is still there.. As i said tho the poping noises i can feal through the main shift handle.. if i put my hand on it i can feal the poping coming from it, but it seems that was just vibration from something touching the roof above the tranny i guess... not ruling this out yet..

When im in park, however and rev the **** outa the engine to 4500-5000krpm or even 2-4k rpm. There is no noise. i put in neutral holding the brake standing still reved it again and still no noise.

Once i start moving tho abot say 10mph the noise starts again, and it seems to go up and down in noise volume as the Jeep shifts when the RPM's go up and down. I dunno... it hasnt slipped, shifts like clock work. went near 100mph on the parkway and shifted beautifully. But that noise is just horrible..

I talked to my mechanic friend just now, he said if it doesnt do it when in park and only when moving then its probably the spedometer cable needs lubed. Does this make sense ?

This is the black cable i was messing with on top of the tranny to stop my squeeking noises then all hell broke loose after i move it a little.

Name:  7657567.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  79.8 KB

Last edited by candymancan; 08-12-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Speedometer cable? I don't think your jeep even HAS one.......

Cable from trans to throttle body, is the Throttle valve cable. It adjusts shift points according to throttle position. If it is out of adjustment, it usually just alters shift points/firmness of shifts... If the trans shifts out fine, and behaves the way you think it should, then I doubt that's the problem. (just a coincidence that the noise started after you messed with it. unless, now it is rubbing on something else.....)

Old 08-12-2011, 03:43 PM
candymancan
Veteran

Well I talked to a Jeep mechanic he owns the kind of Jeeps i have and worked in the dealership for 10 years, he said to remove the spedomtere and put wd40 down the cable. I dunno what to make of that..

I dont see how a slurping noise coming from under the shift handle could be that but what do i know... I dont even knwo where to look assuming it has a cable lol... Maybe i can just disconnect it and see if its that before i start takin stuff apart.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:53 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I only see one cable in that pic.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:57 PM
candymancan
Veteran

Yea i found out that guy was being an ******* aparently there is no spedo cable according to Jeep forums... i hate people like that.

Anyway that cable i circled in the pic is the one i messed with that was rubbing on the ceiling making a squeek noise and since then this all started.

Here is a video i made of the noise, in person it sounds like swishing or slruping... but man on the video it sounds like a rattle..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDQVRipMTQE

Last edited by jasonw; 08-15-2011 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Merging double posts.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

That is BIZARRE.

Put the truck up on four jackstands, put it in drive, and crawl around under it. (don't do this alone.... have someone there, just in case.) See if you can isolate where the noise is coming from.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:30 PM
candymancan
Veteran

Yea i know right ? Skip ahead to 3:40 and listen to it when i shut the engine off while going like 30mph. The noise is still there, and you can hear it a lot better without the loud 5.9 engine rumbling

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I think i have a major problem with my transmission.. need help