Other Vintage Dodges Discuss your J,F,M, anc C bodies here!

Hi from down under :-)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 06:06 AM
Delilah 1975
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi from down under :-)

Hi everyone!
I've just bought myself 'delilah' a 1974 dodge 300 with a 245 hemi 4 spd manual horse truck and I'm in love! Unfortunately she's been sitting for almost a year without being kicked over, so now I've got some issues... I'm no mechanic but I have a basic knowledge and am not afraid to give things a bash myself! (in case you've not guessed yet I'm a chick!)
Firstly we've got no brakes! Res was dry so filled it and pumped the crap out of the pedal, while trying to bleed the brake lines but no fluid reached the back brakes and I still had no pressure behind the pedal. Any ideas?
2nd issue is that while the engine is off I can get her into gear however if she's running then when you try pop her in gear (doesn't matter what gear) she just grinds rather loudly! I'm thinking she needs her clutch adjusted but I have no idea really!
Any suggestions or advice will be GREATLY appreciated!
Kate (Aussie dodge owner)

Old 10-28-2011, 03:31 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Welcome to Dodge Forum!! Enjoy the site!!

Dusty

Old 10-29-2011, 01:13 AM
vpnavy
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome Aboard Delilah 1975! Stay tuned - a Technician (or member) will jump in shortly to provide a possible solution. In the meantime, don't forget to browse Sub-Forums: Ram for stuff related to your ride.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:51 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
First it doesn't matter if you are a guy or gal. You are a member thats looking for some information. Since you already add brake fluid the the master cylinder, Now you need to find the leak. Have someone pump up the brake pedal and see if you can see and lines leaking. If the lines are not leaking, then remove the wheel and inspect the brakes and wheel cylinders and calipers for leaks. Also remove the nuts holding the master cylinder to the power booster if you have one. Do you see any leaks there? Also use a straw and push it down inside the booster. Pull back out, is the end of the straw wet? If it is the master cylinder is leaking fluid inside the booster. 2nd problem, you are right. Time for a for a clutch. I would inspect the flywheel and change the oil in the transmission too.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:13 AM
Delilah 1975

Hi dusty and vpnavy, thanks for saying g'day :-)

Master Tech-thanks so so much for the info it's massively appreciated!! Have days off coming up so will get stuck into the brakes then...watch for the inevitable stream of questions that I'll be posting lol! Wish me luck coz I'm gonna need it!
As for the clutch I know absolutely nothing about them so I think I might wait til my bro gets down from the station and beg him to have a look; he drives triple road trains so hopefully he'll be a bit more savvy than me!
Have a great day guys :-D