PCM & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

PCM for a Neon

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 11:32 PM
casper
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM for a Neon

I am thinking about going turbo. The only PCM that I have heard of that will work with a turbo on a neon is the stock one. I am really disappointed about the fact that I am gonna put all these internals into the motor as well as the turbo and make the car much faster and then get cut off by the rev limiter and speed limiters. Not to mention, I am sure there is some more hp to be gained by a better PCM. Is there suck a PCM out there. I have thought about doing a fuel management system and ignition system, but thats an expensive proposition on top of the other mods I plan to do at the same time. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 01-23-2005, 01:28 AM
casper
Legend
Default RE: PCM for a Neon

Anybody??????

Old 05-24-2005, 09:31 PM
lblackneon
Champion

I don't think there's anything u can do about that. That's probably why nobody has replied. I've just heard (like other people) that u can't upgrade the PCM when upgrading to turbo. Ask Howell or something.

Old 05-26-2005, 02:39 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You wouldn't want to go past, let alone up to the stock Neon's rev limit after putting a turbo on it, especially if you build the engine for a turbo to allow more boost, it would blow everything. If you notice, a turbocharged engine/car has a much lower redline than normally aspirated ones. Most turbo 4 cylinders keep V8-like redlines that are in the low 6K RPM's range. If you do turbocharge your Neon, stay away from the stock Neon's rev limiter or you'll be picking up the pieces as long as the turbos increased heat doesn't cause the turbo to seize.

Old 07-21-2005, 05:27 AM
casper
Legend

The rev limiter I understand that does not matter, the top speed was more of my concern. It cuts out at 120, I can get there pretty easy now, without the turbo.

Old 08-02-2005, 06:40 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never heard of them having a speed limiter, I've just heard of them having a rev limiter. Any upgrade computer will raise the rev limiter (or remove it depending on which one) and it will remove any speed limiter. I know that my '99 Neon R/T didn't have a speed limiter, but it did have a rev limiter that I hit once or twice and it was the Mopar Performance PCM. You should be able to use any PCM with an aftermarket turbo set up. There are plenty of turbo 1st gens now and plenty of kits for doing it, so it shouldn't be that difficult. If all else fails you can get the SRT-4's 2.4L Turbo and drop it in instead.

Old 08-17-2005, 12:41 PM
casper
Legend

All neons have a speed limiter at about 120-122MPH. I have been told that the AFX and Mopar PCMs both run the motor rich and that with a turbo and a performance PCM that it will run too rich and blow the motor up.

Old 09-15-2006, 06:59 PM
daydreamer

I know that i read a post in the megasquirt forum that when you use megasuirt to take over fuel and spark it will disable the rev or speed limiter that the stock ecu has set. do a search on thier forums to find out. on neons.org they have a section dedicated to megasquirt tunning. that might help aswell!

Quick Reply: PCM for a Neon