Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

RT track night

Old 09-26-2004, 05:33 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RT track night

So with the recent discoveries of a broken diff. in the mirada, and the tow vehicle having been taken on vacation, i decided to take the RT to the track. MY buddy with his 4 cylinder sebring came along. with the RT driven by my dad, it ran 16.11, with the sebring being driven by my dad, it ran 16.58. My buddy did some work to it, low pros, a new TB, SRI, and he was insisting that he would now beat me. so we go out for our first run, head to head, at a track which is slower than the track at which the above mentioned times were pulled. first run, i launch, as does he, and were side by side..i hear him chirp second, and i go to second and he begisn to walk on me...more and more..he pulls away...and he crushes me. i ran a 16.40, he ran a 15.60. i was pissed, visably. we go for our next run..i ran a 626 (and win with a 501 light) he runs an 84 vette,...and beats him. (because of some timing problems they were now akin us run th 1/8) the sebring ran a 10.00 to the vetes 10.38. this wa when id had enough..i asked him..how the hell cant you beat me on the street, but you killed me, and a vette here. he opened the hood, and said, "look". so i did...throttle body..intake..nothin else...i looked around for a bit...and he said, maybe oyu can get a better look from here..and he walks to the back of the car...i look under it, still stock exhaust. thats when he casualy opens the truck...

He SPRAYED ME!!!
he was so determined to outrun the RT that he went out and bought Zex, and with a 50 shot...handed the RT its ***.

next run..RT vs sebring (no bottle)..Rt runs a 16.50, sebring runs a 17.10..thats a bit more like it..

but in eliminations..first round i run a z28. she dials a 10.80, i dial a 10.50. and whomp her...517 light....next round, (this is where it gets good) RT vs a 92 cobra. i dial a 10.50 again, he dials 9.00. i pull the 506 light, and was so far ahead that i left the car in second, and coasted through the traps.
the night went on to the final 4, where i had to run a 80s monte SS. i dialed 10.50, he dialed 8.10. we both did our burnouts, and pulled into the prestage beams, and the duel began. neither of us would stage. we went back and forth revving...for what seemed like an eternity...until the staging guy walked up between us, and siad nice and loud...you @ssholes are street class, stage, or im burning you both down. so i pulled into th stage beam, as did he..lights came down...

RED...490...[:@]

the monte went onto lose in the finals...i made a few more time runs, and the sebring ran once more, agaisnt a kid in a 626, with ford decals all over it, who made the comment to me "this would be a nice night, if there werent so many stupid mopars here."

well, stu had turned the bottle off, but he decided that it was time to open it back up..and he CRUSHED this mouthy boy in the 626. the 626 ran a 10.66, my buddy ran another 10.00, and treed him hard. right after this..i ran the 626, and we ran identical times, and mph's, but i got the win with another 501...

hey..its nothing like running 12s...but it was a great deal of fun.
we also had the discussion that i couldnt do a "monster burnout" with the rt...oh..did i show them. ebrake pulled, and smoked both front tires through 3rd gear..

good fun, and a mopar won the box class..

Old 09-27-2004, 12:11 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RT track night

Sounds like a good time you had. I've been dying to get out to the track but I've been so damn busy for the last month. The few times I could of gone it was hot as hell. The one time I ran the car in the heat it was slower than normal. I'm gonna make out in october sometime I hope. Hopefully for my best times of the season.

Old 09-27-2004, 12:55 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

it was fun...its alot less hastle not having to trailer a car back and forth. with the mirada, i have to make my pass, then bring the car back to the pits. then i have to take the hood off and charge the battery, fill the gas, and check the cool can, and fill it. then i cant wander far from the car because if they cal my class, i have to go back and pull the charger off, and putt he hood back on, and monitor the tire pressure. so there isnt much time for watching any racing. plus i have to make sure my burnout is good enough...make sure engine temp doesnt ge ttoo high or too low..etc.

with the Rt i show up, make sure i have less than a half tank of gas. put the race tires on, make sue there is about 22 psi, and thats about it. the cooler the engine the better...i do burnouts but i dont need to...bascialy i run, and get back in line. there is no work or thought involved with the RT..
running mid-to-low 16s is a bit more boring than mid 12s...but the only thing more fun thn beating a stang with the mirada is beating one in the lowly Rt...

Old 09-27-2004, 01:28 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Lol, that sounds like pretty tedious work. I'm not that serious, I'm more like your RT, I just show up with a quarter tank of gas and run as much as possible. Usually run low to mid 16s. Hopefully I can change that next time I go.

Old 09-27-2004, 02:04 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

well, my dad, with full interior, in the heat of the day, ran 16.11. no icing the intake or anything, and it makes a big difference for my car if the engine is cooled down. my best run friday was after an hour long oildown. but that track is faster than the one we went to this weekend. my 60' and 330' times were almost the same, but my top end was off, and this track slows down from the 1/8 out. im hoping to get to the other track, with the interior out, and in nice cool weather before the end of the season, to possibly get into the 15s. ultimately, id like to run 5 speed RT stock times without any major changes. although i may have my buddies nos in my car if he decides to go bigger..

Old 09-27-2004, 08:58 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Well I'm getting as serious as ever the next time I go. I'm shooting for the 15s as well. Only thing I took out on my previous runs was my spare tire. Here is a list of things I plan on taking out next time:

-back seat
-center console (so I don't have to clean it out, I'll just remove it, I have books, papers, change, etc in there)
-floor mats
-front seat (long as it isn't too much of a PITA)
-most everything from my glovebox
-and of course will take my spare out at the track

Hoping to drop more than 100lbs.

I think that combined with my new mods will get me in the 15s. Oh yeah, what about tire pressure, I never messed with that before. Should I deflate the front tires slightly and put a little extra in the rear ones? Like maybe 20-25psi in front and 35-40psi in rear? This **** just got serious because my time to break into the 15s in dwindling down with winter on the way. Only a month left then the tracks close down.

Old 09-27-2004, 10:18 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

the frotn tires i run on the RT at the track are 195-50-15, and i run 22 psi. itr yields a nice smokey burnout, yet gets good traction. i dont know what size tire you run, or how soft of a tire you run. my low pros are kumho 711 supras, which, im aware, is no toyo proxy, but they keep me from chewimg up my 17" yokos. i run 40 in the rear, all the time. if you go too low of pressure in the front, it may track down too much, possibly bogging the engine, where as if there is too much, it spin them. my buddy is, as stated, running 15.60s on the bottle, with 185-40-14s on the front, running about 19-20 psi. i have to go to a damned wedding this weekend, so i likely wont make it to the track at all......[:@][:@][:@][:@]

Old 09-27-2004, 10:41 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

They are the stock tires that it came with. I believe they are 185-60-15.

Old 09-28-2004, 12:02 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

its hard to say really about the tire pressure. once you get a regular feel for how it comes off the line, youll be able to tell by the feel of the car, and by your 60' how you launch was for each run. then you can toy with your pressure and make small adjustments and have the ability to tell whether or not it helped.

Old 09-29-2004, 02:11 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Well I can tell you this, I pretty much know how to launch it off the line. If I could get it down to a 2.0 or 2.1 that would be awesome. But right now I pull 2.2 and 2.3's consisently.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RT track night