Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

Bitburg motorpark, germany (oct 9, 2010)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 03:19 PM
blacksunshine05
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
That's a pretty darn small tire. Have you tried dropping the tire pressure any? We hunted everywhere between 7.0 and 9.0 before we decided that 8.5 is what our car likes (on worn out MT's).

Remember the tire is an active suspension member. If your shocks are out of tune, your tires will try to correct for it. IDK, maybe your car is best at 15psi. Not know very much, I would experiment with 11 and 13psi. You wont be there much longer so at the same time, I wouldn't invest too much time into trying to go faster on an ill-prepared track.

Season is over with so wont race again until I move to Texas. I am on BC coilovers so I can adjust the dampener from 0-30. I set the front at 7 and the rear at 15 to keep the car from squatting in the rear and to keep the front from coming up. Here is the run I did before the 12.987. I was only running 19psi of boost on this run before turning it up to 21psi on the 12 sec run. But watch the front tires on the launch looks like they turn once or twice. Probably will run the slicks in Texas at 14psi and adjust down from there.

R/T - .464
60FT - 2.010
594' ET - 8.032
1/8 ET - 8.540
1/8 MPH - 88.58
1000' ET - 11.027
1254' ET - 12.662
1/4 ET - 13.073
1/4 MPH - 109.49

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iUtAhIjEQc

Old 10-13-2010, 12:28 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

One day, I will remmeber that Neons are FWD.

That said, yea, you're blowing those the heck off alright.

I have zero experience with FWD's. I know when NHRA has the FWD sportsman class, everybody had huge weight bars that jacked the back end up and loaded weight onto the nose.

A RWD car uses the accelerational weight transfer to plant the tires. a FWD doesn't have this weight transfer, so it has to be staticly applied via weightboxes, weightbars, or physically putting the front suspension at partial squat and the rear suspension and full extention. Your shocks are the other big key, as you said, keeping the nose down and tail up, even under acceleration.

Are your shocks double adjustable or single? Our QA1's are single adjustable, but we're switching to double adjustable in the offseason. We have the backs at 6 (max) and fronts at halfway.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:27 AM
blacksunshine05
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
One day, I will remmeber that Neons are FWD.

That said, yea, you're blowing those the heck off alright.

I have zero experience with FWD's. I know when NHRA has the FWD sportsman class, everybody had huge weight bars that jacked the back end up and loaded weight onto the nose.

A RWD car uses the accelerational weight transfer to plant the tires. a FWD doesn't have this weight transfer, so it has to be staticly applied via weightboxes, weightbars, or physically putting the front suspension at partial squat and the rear suspension and full extention. Your shocks are the other big key, as you said, keeping the nose down and tail up, even under acceleration.

Are your shocks double adjustable or single? Our QA1's are single adjustable, but we're switching to double adjustable in the offseason. We have the backs at 6 (max) and fronts at halfway.
The only adjustments I have on mine are the ride height and the dampener only. So all the can adjust is the hardness of the shock. I may have to start to put the rear at 20 rather then 15 and leave the front at 7. I wont run the boost up to 24psi until I can get the suspension and the tires to hold at 20psi. The car doesnt even shine until 24psi.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:08 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Quick Reply: Bitburg motorpark, germany (oct 9, 2010)