Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

any new cobalt ss run ins

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 03:48 PM
whatneon
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any new cobalt ss run ins

I had a run in this week.
I was behind him on a 2 laner, 2 lane opened up to 4 we hit it, he was way behind. not very impressive unless someone stuck a big wing on a N/A car, but when he stopped it looked like the S/C wheels too. Went to chebby to build one, it looks like package deals with no option for S/C delete on top of the line SS. No chance to dig from a light...too bad.

Old 03-09-2006, 04:41 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Default RE: any new cobalt ss run ins

I've only seen a couple of Cobalt's around here and none were a "SS"......SUVs and Pickups make up 80% of the vehicles in this area....

Dusty

Old 03-09-2006, 05:15 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

There's an SS and then there's an SS supercharged model available....both have the SS wheels and the only real difference exterior wise is the wing and ground effects kit. That said, you can option up those items or buy them aftermarket.

One of the chicks here at work was either test driving or buying an SS SC and let me drive it. It's the second time I've driven one...and it's not slow by any means.

It runs the 1/4 mile in about 14.5 stock.....it's not as fast as the SRT-4....but it's running on a 2.0L engine and of course it's GM....they never fully power crap...

It was a fun car to drive....too small tho..

Old 03-09-2006, 05:51 PM
BigE
Veteran

So the cobalt SS's I've seen around town may be non super charged? I thought all I needed to look for is the 'SS' badge. How can you tell the non super charged cobalt SS cars from the other cobalt SS with it? Just look for the 'SS' badge with the wing?

Old 03-09-2006, 05:54 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: BigE

So the cobalt SS's I've seen around town may be non super charged? I thought all I needed to look for is the 'SS' badge. How can you tell the non super charged cobalt SS cars from the other cobalt SS with it? Just look for the 'SS' badge with the wing?
On most of the SS models.....just having the SS model badge doesnt guarantee you are racing the supercharged model. Kinda stupid huh? That said, I would look for the Cobalts that have the 18" wheels, the ground effect kits, and the fugly wing on the back. Another dead give away is the S/C. If you hear it, you'll know its a S/C.

An SS supercharged with some very mild tuning ($2k) could easily be under the 14 sec mark.....pushing closer to 13.8 or so...

Old 03-09-2006, 06:20 PM
mopar222
Veteran

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

There's an SS and then there's an SS supercharged model available....both have the SS wheels and the only real difference exterior wise is the wing and ground effects kit. That said, you can option up those items or buy them aftermarket.

One of the chicks here at work was either test driving or buying an SS SC and let me drive it. It's the second time I've driven one...and it's not slow by any means.

It runs the 1/4 mile in about 14.5 stock.....it's not as fast as the SRT-4....but it's running on a 2.0L engine and of course it's GM....they never fully power crap...

It was a fun car to drive....too small tho..
Remember the gmc syclone, the fastest car/truck that car and driver tested in 91. They put it up against a ferrari, and all the ferrari saw was tailgate. Gm does put the power out, when they want to. But we own the fastest car in the 20k range.

Old 03-09-2006, 08:14 PM
xXxIZZYxXx
Captain

I had two run ins with the supercharged cobalt ss on the same day. It was on the same day I went to go buy my bov from American_Muscle. First was on the 10 east light traffic, I rolled by him didn't pay much attention, he sped up and pulled up next to me, glanced over at him and laughed. He started speeding up so I was like eff it, took his *** out, Took me about maybe 1 second to catch up to him, then I just smoked him, he rolled bye gave me a weak thumbs up and go off the freeway. Then on the 5 south another ss rolled up on me he was with his g/f so of course he was acting like he had ***** of steel, more like rubber if you ask me. Took his *** out 3 times without trying, gotta say though he was a way better driver than the first ss. His girl was laughing at him the whole time, all in a days work of some good ole srt-4 driving. SRT-4's OWN!

Old 03-10-2006, 12:09 AM
mopar222
Veteran

The nameplate that adorned one of General Motors’ European Opel division’s most admired models returns after 30 years. Opel will sell a European version of the Saturn Sky, badged the GT, though this new car, unlike the coupe original, is an open-top roadster. The GT will be sold in left-hand-drive only. There are no significant changes to the exterior styling to differentiate the GT from the Sky. Opel has replaced the Sky’s 170-hp 2.4-liter four-cylinder with a more powerful 265-hp turbocharged 2.0-liter engine. Opel claims the GT will hit 60 mph in around six seconds and run to a top speed of 143 mph. The GT will be built alongside its Saturn equivalent and the Pontiac Solstice at GM’s Wilmington plant in Delaware, with the first deliveries due this time next year. This thing is dope.

Old 03-10-2006, 05:25 AM
moparman04
Captain

ONLY ONE SS RUN IN FOR ME ... 57 SOUTH IN CHINO GAVE HIM A REV AND HE JUST GAVE THE THUMBS UP...HE DIDNT GIVE ME A RUN

Old 03-10-2006, 12:41 PM
RIPSIGUY
Captain

ORIGINAL: moparman04

ONLY ONE SS RUN IN FOR ME ... 57 SOUTH IN CHINO GAVE HIM A REV AND HE JUST GAVE THE THUMBS UP...HE DIDNT GIVE ME A RUN
He knew better!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL Great job guys and girls, just be safe doin that street stuff. I aint preaching either, because I do it too.

Cobalt owners get a packet in the owners manual that says " In the dictonary, the word dodge means "TO AVOID". Please avoid racing a "Dodge" due to testicular shrinkage from embarassment. [sm=laughat.gif]

Quick Reply: any new cobalt ss run ins