Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes-If it helps racing
7.69%
No-Looks gay as hell
84.62%
Maybe
7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

NASCAR Car of Tomarrow...Wing or no wing

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 01:01 AM
Boulee
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NASCAR Car of Tomarrow...Wing or no wing

NASCAR is thinking about using a wing instead of a spoiler for some races....any thoughts on this?

NASCAR.com story
http://www.nascar.com/2006/news/head...cot/index.html

ORIGINAL: jayski.com
“We went through our normal aero changes here today, just to back up what the wind tunnel has been telling us, and were able to get some quality laps on the track,” said Robin Pemberton, NASCAR vice president for competition. “The wing continues to give us positive results. It is going to provide the teams with a lot of advantages when it comes to competition. We’ll even get more evidence of that when we test the Car of Tomorrow next month at Lowe’s Motor Speedway.”
For Harvick, it was his first time driving the Car of Tomorrow and he was encouraged with his initial test run. “When you get in the driver’s seat, it feels like just another race car,” said Harvick. “We got a lot out of today’s test, because it helps us determine what kind of package we will need when we run the car next season. From everything I’ve heard about the wing, it should be a big help in helping the car behind you get some air on its nose. That seems to be what we’re fighting all the time; the aero push on the bigger race tracks.”
ORIGINAL: jayski.com
COT and the Wing: One item that is expected to be missing in the final version of the car of tomorrow [COT] will be the customary rear spoiler, which NASCAR has used for decades as part of its aerodynamic package. In its place will be a single-element rear deck wing, which was first track-tested at Daytona earlier this year. Monday's session at Bristol will be used to test different wing designs. The wing will represent a dramatic change in the look of NASCAR's stock cars, but according to Brett Bodine, a former driver who now serves as NASCAR's test driver and is heavily involved in the development of the new car, the wing is more in tune with today's modern race cars as well as new showroom models. He added that using a wing will allow teams to build a more symmetrically shaped car rather than the current models, which are cut and bent to shape to permit them to run better on ovals. According to Bodine, the wing will be a bolt-on piece that will be given to teams each race weekend by NASCAR, thus preventing any cheating. The wing will most likely include a small wickerbill/Gurney flap – a right-angle piece of metal rigidly bolted or riveted to a wing's trailing edge – which will offer an additional level of downforce or drag to be produced by the wing. Monday's session also will test the design of the new air splitter located below the bumper on the front of the new car. The splitter is designed to keep the front of the car on the ground. Both the wing and the splitter are items that have been used successfully for decades in sports car racing worldwide.(Yahoo Sports)(3-27-2006)

Old 04-05-2006, 01:10 AM
Boulee
Record Breaker
Default RE: NASCAR Car of Tomarrow...Wing or no wing

I for one say no....can you say RICE!!!!

Old 04-05-2006, 06:46 AM
deranged
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, Rice a Roni is the "San Francisco" treat, and that wing is gay too! Oh I forgot they'll have Toyotas in there soon so this will help them feel right at home I guess.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:47 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I say no and just in case... (did it a while ago with the same pic)

[IMG]local://upfiles/9989/7E1BEEF4EAE34F16ACA0130616DFB41E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-09-2006, 11:14 AM
52b3b108
Veteran

Spoiler only. I see enough of those crazy wings farting past me every day.

Old 04-10-2006, 01:59 AM
Jims04srt
Captain

I went with maybe...cause you know they need more area for their sponsors!!! The wing would be easier to adjust for downforce. Just a thought from the devils advocate.

Old 04-10-2006, 02:53 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

The concept behind NASCAR was to run cars that people could relate to, i.e, bootlegger hotrods, etc. They've expanded that a bit with the fake headlights/front ends, and a hundred plus other mods that no ordinary citizen would ever put in their car. It's a classic example of American Media working at it's finest in reverse. You create a product, and then find a market for it.........

Dusty

Old 04-26-2006, 08:02 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

omg i hope they dont do that!!! then theyll be rednecks in camaros/mustsangs runnin around with rice wings on them around here...... dang that looks horrible.... wow thatll suck

but jayski.com rocks (saw that thats where you got the link from)

Quick Reply: NASCAR Car of Tomarrow...Wing or no wing