Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

Wow! Mine vs. Focus SVT

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 05:52 PM
red91RT
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow! Mine vs. Focus SVT

I have to say, I impressed myself a little just now getting lunch. There was a Ford SVT Focus that followed me and tried a race three times. All three times I was able to walk on him. Only a little, but was able to walk. Once on on-ramp, once on freeway 55 to 80 MPH and once again from stoplight.

I don't know much about SVT Focii honestly. This one was purpley and looke pretty new. But the rims looked kind of like aftermarket--Five spoke--fairly small spokes. The exhaust might have been after market, but I don't think so 'cuz it was quiet and mellow, but it had a decent sized outlet.

Any body know what those SVT can do?

If you'd read any of my posts last year from allpar.com or neons.org you'd know I primarily aimed my rebuild at better gas mileage (and got it). I'm basically a true manual steering conversion, pump removed, underdrive pulley, motor mount inserts--all three and a mopar perf bobble strut. A crane cam #2. Stock pistons. Moroso pan. SOHC 5 speed, stock gear ratio. Use 205/50-15 tires. Pretty plain actually. My only concession to performance for performance's gain was the crane cam and an automatic TB that my dad cleaned up for me and a little whittle work in the stock exhaust manifold. Oh yeah--also have my 80 series flowmaster--the thing that caught his attention in the first place.

I had previously been thinking a good strong run would next 15.2 to 15.5 1/4 mile for me. But now I'm rethinking. My car is running a little stumbly under heavy load, medium throttle, which I've pretty much narrowed down to a cam or crankshaft position sensing problem and have the newer crank sensor and connecter sitting in my back seat to put in. Once I take care of that I might have even more edge--but I doubt it--full throttle runs just fine.

Anyway, I'm really excited because I've been averaging 38 MPG on my up and over mountain commute and yet could run with the pricey new cars.

Old 06-09-2004, 11:23 PM
Deleted User
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 06-09-2004, 11:41 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Wow! Mine vs. Focus SVT

Nice. When I had my 96 SOHC 5 spd, I had several try me. It wasn't even funny what my stripper Neon would do.

Old 06-10-2004, 04:39 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good job either way.[sm=smiley20.gif] Here's Car & Drivers info on the Ford SVT Focus:

Price as tested: $21,350
0-60 MPH: 7.7sec.
1/4 mile: 15.9 sec.
Top Speed: 131 MPH
Braking 70-0 MPH: 170 ft.
Skidpad: .87 G

Old 06-11-2004, 03:12 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nice kill! the stock wheels on the SVT focus are 5-spokes, with "SVT" in the middle of them, so it could have been stock wheels, but there are also alot of knock off SVTs in my area.
im actually kind of surprised how bad the numbers are that you posted there 71. i thought they were faster than those.

Old 06-11-2004, 05:23 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

scg has posted Motor Trends results, which are better times than the Car & Driver times. This just goes to show how the different variables can change the out come, just like the times I've personally seen SRT-4's run at the track, everywhere from 13.7-14.7 stock. Every last little thing makes a difference.

Old 06-13-2004, 06:25 PM
Deleted User
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 06-14-2004, 10:33 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

I wonder about that myself. It might not just be sucky drivers, it could also be how throughly they test them. They may just make one or two passes and call it done. Another factor could be the wear on the cars, Super Street is a perfect example. They now have an '03 SRT-4 to play with from DCX and by the time they got it it had bald tires on it. They never mentioned how many miles were already on it and it was previously a test car for magazines and what all, this would also explain it's low power output, 210.8 WHP. Makes you wonder if they get them from the beginning, before they're even broke in, when they're at their peak or after they're all ragged out.[sm=smiley2.gif]

Old 06-17-2004, 10:33 AM
fortywillys
Professional

The top speed of the svt focus is higher than 131, they must have never got it into 6th unless they tested the auto . I had mine up to 145+ when i let off and still had a little to go. If the svt has traction control you will walk all over it at the line. Because if the brake's don't stop the wheel's from spinning the computer retard's the timing. I know some piece of **** Honda took me off the line but i still spanked his ricer ***. Becides the svt is like the beemer of the compact scene. If ford ever put's a turbo on the US car's the srt's going to have some real tough competion in it's price range. Oh it was a 2003 ZX5(4dr hatch) 6spd svt. Current car is a 04 srt

Old 06-18-2004, 08:36 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

Either your speedo was inaccurate or you had the wrong/different size wheels/tires or worn tires, because even the turbocharged Focus RS isn't that fast and this is data straight from Ford. Here are the stats from two different sources on the turbocharged Focus RS:

Official Ford Performance Figures:

0-60mph in 6.4secs.

0-100mph in 15.5secs.

100-0mph in 4.1secs. (Can we say"TYPO")

Top speed of 144mph.

EVO Magazine Performance Figures:
(Road tested at Millbrook Proving Ground in September 2002)

0-30mph in 2.5secs.

0-60mph in 5.9secs.

0-100mph in 14.9secs.

0-130mph in 32.6secs.

1/4 mile in 14.6secs/99mph.

This also shows that the turbocharged Focus RS is still no match for the SRT-4.[sm=smiley2.gif]

The old Ford Pantera had a speedo inaccuracy of more than 25 MPH over it's actual speed at around 120 MPH+(this was only on the most powerful version, the lesser version was only off by a couple MPH).

Quick Reply: Wow! Mine vs. Focus SVT