Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

fast and furious 4.7.. I'm so proud

Old 08-16-2006, 10:59 PM
Racevette77
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: fast and furious 4.7.. I'm so proud

what is "Bench raceing"?

Old 08-17-2006, 12:19 PM
freedom

Sitting around talking about "what if..." rather than actually doing the racing.....

Old 08-17-2006, 02:08 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

far too many people use the dyno, and their "horsepower numbers" as a sort of bragging rights...nothing bothers me more than when i ask someone what their car or truck runs, and they reply with something like "it put down 642 at the wheels, so it should be good for low 10s"...what that means is that the person never runs at it the track, or he did and it ran poorly, due to driver error or a bad setup.

ive come across ALOT of people who own cars such as supras and terminators who will go on about having 700+ rwhp, but they dont run it, or they ran it and it only ran something like a mid to low 12 second run. like freedom said, every dyno can read differently, and the dyno is also near-perfect conditions, especially for forced induction cars, like the terminators. they can pack the blower with ice, and have a steady stream of cold water or compressed air across the IC to allow them to run much more boost than they could ever dream of running at the track. these people are called dyno queens...and in many cases, if you were to take a dyno queens car and dyno it under conditions similar to that of the track on an average summer day, it wouldnt put out anywhere near the same numbers...but all a dyno queen cares about is that dyno sheet...typically, dyno queens love dynojets.

yes, the dyno can prove to be a good tool for tuning, but i know plenty of REAL engine builders who make a living building cars in the 8s, and theyve never had a car on a dyno. my car is getting tired, and will be rebuilt this winter, but it has never been on a dyno and has been "trial and error" tuned, and it would throttle most of the cars on this site...on 87 octane...

Old 08-17-2006, 06:19 PM
freedom

Yep... nothing pisses me off more than dyno queens.... I have spent a ****load of time on a dyno (ecu cars are a little tougher to tune with trial and error) but always with artificial load turned up and in the same temp/humidity as i would see at the track, because i want my tune to be right, not a high number on my dyno chart. speaking of which, I have never kept a dyno printout, I have no use for them.... because I have timeslips!

Never trust a dyno sheet either, there are plenty of dyno operators that will run cars in second gear to fudge numbers for their customers....

Old 08-17-2006, 07:37 PM
Racevette77
Professional

Well considering it was implied that I was "bench racer" and I have **never** said anything about How fast my car(s) may be or what kinda times they run due to their horse power and stuff -- I would like a Recall/apology or atleast a my bad of the Comment about Me being a "bench Racer".

I was just suggesting that Dynos are Not just for Ricers and are used in all sorts of applications. Just because some Twerps brag about how fast their car is "supposed" to be due to Dyno #'s shouldent put all persons who use a Dyno in the category of "ricer"

I will admit i have "NO" idea what my cars run in the 1/4 mile and i have Never dynoed either of them allthough - I want to find out one of these days what I can run and what kinda power they put down ..... just dont have the time yet.

But i am down to race anyone at any time win or loose ...... I do it for the fun / thrill / expierence.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:09 PM
freedom

ORIGINAL: Racevette77

Well considering it was implied that I was "bench racer" and I have **never** said anything about How fast my car(s) may be or what kinda times they run due to their horse power and stuff -- I would like a Recall/apology or atleast a my bad of the Comment about Me being a "bench Racer".

I was just suggesting that Dynos are Not just for Ricers and are used in all sorts of applications. Just because some Twerps brag about how fast their car is "supposed" to be due to Dyno #'s shouldent put all persons who use a Dyno in the category of "ricer"

I will admit i have "NO" idea what my cars run in the 1/4 mile and i have Never dynoed either of them allthough - I want to find out one of these days what I can run and what kinda power they put down ..... just dont have the time yet.

But i am down to race anyone at any time win or loose ...... I do it for the fun / thrill / expierence.
Who said you were a bench racer? If you took that as me calling you a bench racer, then maybe it just hit too close to home.... besides we have ALL bench raced.... its part of what car guys do when they sit around BS'ing, its not really deragatory.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:42 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i dont think that myself, or freedom, was calling you a bench racer Racevette77...

i want to get my car on a dyno once i get the bottom end rebuilt, just because id like to know, as i get asked ALOT "how much power do you have"...my answer is always "3700lb car running mid 12s"...people who are familiar with the dyno feel that my trap and ET, with my race weight, would put me around 350-360 at the wheels...but i dont know. and when i tell dyno queens how i came to my estimated HP, they discredit it..meanwhile, the closest thing to a "quarter mile time" is the dyno...

Old 08-18-2006, 02:02 AM
Racevette77
Professional

ORIGINAL: freedom

~so its not a great way to compare HP numbers for **you** bench racers out there.
Ok maby i read it wrong. On second look it can be read different ways. The word You just kinda poped out there........ w/o the ** i added that ;-P

Old 09-08-2006, 03:26 PM
YeahItsAHemi345
Record Breaker

Having a A/F gauge on a Honda is for ricers...FYI.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:33 AM
sleblanc

well i dont run dynos or at the track as a matter of fact i am new to my dodge and my dad has only been having his dodge for a short while we use to be chevy people but i think that dodge been putting out better stuff than they did in the 90s but i know that we raced my hemi qc and the 2500 qc short bed cummings ho and i got a 2 truck jump on him when i hit second he cmae up to my tailgate and it was all over for him after that he started falling back till we shut down at about 110 so iwas impressed with the cummings now the story of you running a ford the major question is was it a 6.0 stroker or a 7.3 if it was the 7.3 then i will believe the story but a 6.0 is a fast truck with no pulling power hints the reason why we got the cummings in 04 and not the 6.0 or duramax because they were having problems withthe duramax and the 6.0 is all speed and no pulling power. but if you ran a 6.0 with a 4.7 and beat him then you got your self a truck that will beat a hemi cause i know when i am going to get to a light with a 6.0 it will be a close race

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fast and furious 4.7.. I'm so proud