Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

fast and furious 4.7.. I'm so proud

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 09:28 PM
shadowzform
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fast and furious 4.7.. I'm so proud

You know, after listening to everybody else put down on my truck all the time and saying it would run 17s or higher in the 1/4 mile, I'd have to say I am foolish for letting them convince me of that. I just got back from houston and raced an f250 powerstroke (one I was talking about in a street/strip post of mine about a month or so ago-- he finally decided to race me) and I beat him. Well I own a 4.7 L Quad Cab ram 1500 with few mods. I change the oil every 1500 miles jsut for the heck of keeping it at maximum performance, use the best oils, keep up with all the fluid levels, change stuff more often than I should, change spark plugs often, only got 5500 miles on it after having it for 8 months and broke it in the way I wanted it to be broke in. Only mods are high flow exhaust and high flow intake. So now that I have told you what I have and you still don't believe me, don't bother to post. After beating that powerstroke, after I had had doubts because those things are so fast, I decided to go time myself 0-60. I did not use full throttle because of the way the roads were that I was at in my city (it's daytime, and old people and slow-driving people everywhere). I used more like 3/4 throttle and it shifted from 1-2nd at 4700 rpms rather than the 6000 rpms it shifts at in full throttle. Once i got to 60 i stopped the timer and it was 8.3 second. My heart got to racing... I got a fast QC truck all along and didn't even know it because I listened to other people putting me down all the time. That just made my day so wonderful, and not only that, I got two more members of my family buying DC vehicles. One caliber R/T and a Charger R/T. Do you guys think I should bring my to the track and get a 1/4 mile time whenever possible? i think if i ever spot a HEMI QC on the road I'm gonna try to race it. I would go get a dyno being that I don't know how much HP my truck has, but that's stuff only ricers do. So nah, I won't. But the moral behind the story is, Don't ever listen to what the numbers on the internet say or what somebody else says. 80% of the time those numbers are wrong because of the way your vehicle has been used, modified, and treated, weather conditions, etc. and because people are jealous and would love to put you down all the time. Next time you want to race somebody and think you can win, don't pay attention to numbers, just do it. Going to go back to houston sunday guys for two weeks for my new job training/schooling so It'll be a while before I can be back on DF again after that.

Old 08-04-2006, 10:38 PM
ramfan5.9
Hall Of Fame
Default RE: fast and furious 4.7.. I'm so proud

1 dyno's arent jsut for ricers

2 go to the track

Old 08-05-2006, 12:09 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: ramfan5.9

2 go to the track
Exactly what he said......in fact....screw the dyno....just go to the track......

Remember this though, when going to the track...your first couple of runs may not be great....but they are things you can work on...

Old 08-05-2006, 01:58 PM
CoyoteRoede
All Star

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

ORIGINAL: ramfan5.9

2 go to the track
Exactly what he said......in fact....screw the dyno....just go to the track......

Remember this though, when going to the track...your first couple of runs may not be great....but they are things you can work on...

+2

have somone else time your 0-60 for you in the truck with you. because you will get a more accurate time. when you go to the track remember to take all the the unnecessary stuff out of the truck. like your spare tire and all of the heavy stuff you put in there.. it will help a little bit.

Old 08-05-2006, 10:00 PM
Last Of The R/Ts
Record Breaker

Keep that mess on the track. It's not always the vehicle, the driver has a lot to do on how a car will match up with an opponent as well. Just to give you a heads up, If you happen to find a Hemi Ram and the driver knows how to mash a pedal and steer a truck straight, you will get smoked! Just thought I would let you know.....

Old 08-08-2006, 08:27 PM
eatsleepdrivesc
Veteran

i just took mine to the track and it ram 18.1 stock and that was with a passenger, so im not complaining at all...

Old 08-09-2006, 12:32 PM
freedom

1. That powerstroke story is hard to swallow, but I guess anything can happen with a crappy driver.... turbo diesels can be STRONG! (yes the cummins too this isnt Ford loving)

2. Using a dyno is for ricers but timing your 0-60 with a stopwatch isnt?? You cant be accurate with a stopwatch so just knock it off....

3. Who cares what you run, its all about having fun at the track.... get out there and do it...

Old 08-10-2006, 12:36 AM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: freedom

2. Using a dyno is for ricers but timing your 0-60 with a stopwatch isnt?? You cant be accurate with a stopwatch so just knock it off....

hahahahahahaha

Old 08-11-2006, 12:12 AM
Racevette77
Professional

When did useing a Dyno become only for "Ricers"??

I thought it was for people either:

1) curious of what their ride really puts down or
2) Use the dyno to see what parts / adjustments give positive or negitive effects to the HP / TQ curve and such...

Thus "I" thought that a dyno was used by any car enthusiast.

Correct me if im wrong.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:27 AM
freedom

ORIGINAL: Racevette77

When did useing a Dyno become only for "Ricers"??

I thought it was for people either:

1) curious of what their ride really puts down or
2) Use the dyno to see what parts / adjustments give positive or negitive effects to the HP / TQ curve and such...

Thus "I" thought that a dyno was used by any car enthusiast.

Correct me if im wrong.
Actually most of use the dyno to tune our vehicles, your HP/TQ measurement is just kind of a bonus, and shouldnt be taken as gospel anyway.... every dyno reads differently and even the same dyno on different days will give you a different reading, so its not a great way to compare HP numbers for you bench racers out there.

Quick Reply: fast and furious 4.7.. I'm so proud