Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

Killed a Lightning

Old 03-24-2007, 08:33 PM
Johndcjr1989
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Killed a Lightning

no but they dont work on any vehicle unless its carbureted, and even then the gains arent worth the money. i had one on my ram. i never noticed a performance increase with it but i did notice gas mileage go down. had it on there for about 4 months. took it off, and didnt notice a performance decrease, but i did watch my gas mileage go up from about 11 to 13 without changing my driving habits.

the spacer has grooves cut in it thats supposed to "swirl" the air and provide a better air/fuel mixture and give a more complete burn, which is supposed to boost performance and gas mileage. on a carbed engine it works alright, because the air and the gas are both going in the carburetor. on a fuel injected engine, the fuel doesnt meet the air until the cylinders, so how would "swirling" the air thats coming in the intake manifold help?

id stick with a good cai, exhaust system, some good rubber (tires get overlooked alot of times when people are trying to make a fast car, but alot of times they can make a bigger difference than most realize) and maybe some suspension upgrades. then if you want, you can always swap out the internals and pull some real power out of it.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:46 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As previously mentioned spacers are useless on any fuel injected (except TBI) or forced induction engine except cost money and add weight. The whole swirling air thing with the spiral groves is total BS and the ones I've seen don't have enough to them to even begin to affect the air flow. Spacers do work on carburated and TBI (Throttle Body Injected) engines and usually don't have the spirals or advertisements about it swirling the air. What they do and how they work is simple, they are an insulator. They use aluminium, plastics or wood (yes they make some out of wood as it is a great insulator, but they don't last long) to make a spacer that bolts between the engine and the carburator or throttle body to keep the engines heat from sinking into the carburator or throttle body which keeps the fuel in them cooler. This in turn lowers the entire air/fuel charge temperature which results in more power and better performance, but it isn't much of an increase.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:35 PM
scg87
Veteran

Whoa, Idon't think we're on the same page.This is an angled(slightly) intake plenum spacer, and is actuallyone of the better power-to-cash mod for the Z. They typically add 10ish whp, and when coupled w/ the same company's actual intake, it's around 22ish. Thanx for the advice though.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:52 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 350Z spacer is kinda like porting your intake manifold, it allows more air into the engine by raising the top halfof thatodd 2 piece intake manifold. Don't be fooled by their advertised gains with it though, read it very carefully, they state that itcan result in gains of UP TO 10 hp at the wheels which doesn't mean it's an automatic gain of 10whp on any 350Z. An otherwise stock 350Z will probably only get 2-5 hp gain at the wheels whereas one with all kinds of mods might get the 10 whp gain.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:47 PM
scg87
Veteran

My friend's 06 w/ cai and the aforementioned spacer gained 17whp, otherwise his car is stock. I'm familiar w/ all the marketing ploys, etc they use when advertising power gains, etc, don't worry. I appreciate the advise, though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Killed a Lightning