Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon Grrrr!! Tough Trucks! The Dodge Ramcharger and Plymouth Trailduster were full size SUV's that had good looks and brute strength. The Dodge Power Wagon was comparable to them in toughness, but came in pickup truck form only.

ramcharger swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 06:19 PM
Shelbyfan
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ramcharger swap

how hard would it be to convert a carbed ramcharger over to a magnum drivetrain?
i found a r/c with a blown motor and i have a rolled 94 dakota with a mag v8
would it be worth it?

Old 04-25-2007, 04:50 PM
crazypete
Rookie
Default RE: ramcharger swap

should be a matter of mating th new magnum to the old tranny (might bolt up, might need adaptor), I'd definetly keep the chargers tranny (727?) vs the dakotas problematic one. then the motor mounts might need to be relocated a new fuel pump is in order to supply the mpfi with pressure the old carb'ed one is on the side of the timing chain cover. Might find a gas tank with in tank pump from a charger of the 1994 era with similar mpfi at a jumkyard. in texas theres lots. hope it helped

Old 04-27-2007, 05:12 AM
IGadget
Professional

A carb on a dodge probably means that your destination vehicle is an 88 or older. You would need to swap over most of the wireing harness too just to the the computer to work. I don't know what type of cut outs you would need for all of the things like the speed sensor on the rear axle, the O2 sensor on the exaust, or what the computer would do with the 727, was it even an option on the durango?

I'm a new ramcharger user but I've had the carbed 318 in every vehicle I've owned, but I'm not sure on every accessory that the magnum series engines need to see to go

good luck

Old 04-28-2007, 06:07 PM
Shelbyfan
Professional

mopar performance had a 4 barrel swap for the magnum engines, i wonder if they still make it

Old 05-29-2007, 01:49 AM
ezekiel

Probably this swap would affect most Dodge ramcharger parts. Just be careful on wirings... The computer won't work on incorrect installation and worse ruin the other parts.[&:]

Old 06-03-2007, 11:30 PM
7secR/C

I have a 98 5.9 Magnum swapped in my 85 R/C. It's not difficult too difficult. I'll go over some stuff you need to know.

1.) The 5.2/5.9 magnum will bolt up to your original 727 tranny, and the engine itself will directly bolt up with the exception of the left side (driver) motor mount bracket that attaches to the block. You will need to source a left side motor mount bracket from a 340/360. The right side mount works fine.

2.) It's absolutely possible, and easy, to switch to a carbureted setup. Mopar performance offers a dual plane and single plane intake manifold for the Magnum engine. The LA series intake manifold will not bolt up because the the intake bolts go in at an angle, while the Magnum intake bolts are straight up and down.

3.) You'll need to swap to a vacuum advance distributor. I'm not 100% sure if you can reuse the old one, but I think you can.

4.) Since the Magnum engine has a serpentine accessorie drive system on the it, you'll save yourself a lot of headaches by removing it. You'll need to remove all of the accessories, brackets, water pump, as well as the timing chain cover.Everything will bolt up to the Magnum engine, with the exception of the alternator bracket. You just need a couple of washers between it and the head to line up the alternator belt correctly. The only exception is the harmonic balancer. Use the one off of the Magnum motor, since it was designed for it. Make sure to use the crank pulley from the old motor though, to retain the correct operation of the accesories. Depending on the year of the old motor, one bolt hole may not line up properly. Simply enlongate the hole to work, if this is the case. Please don't leave a bolt missing, that's just wrong.

5.) Even though the old timing chain cover has the old mechanical fuel pump attached to it, save yourself the hassle and just use an external electric fuel pump. The reason the old mechanical pump won't work is because the camshaft on the Magnum engine is a little shorter than the LA series motor, and it will not(safely) accept the fuel pump eccentric(lobe that makes the fuel pump work). You can swap cams, but that makes the difficulty meter go up. Instead, just block off the holeon the side of the timing chain coverand install an electric pump. Me personally, I installed a return type system that incorporated a fuel pressure regulator and return line. If you can swap the engine, doing this is a walk in the park.

6.) The exhaust manifolds are interchangeable. However, headers are cheap from Summit Racing. Use, 'em. The LA series exhaust manifolds are crappy.

7.) Now here's where things may become a little tricky. The 5.2 Magnumand LA 318 engines are bothinternally balanced, and theMagnum 5.9 and LA 360 engines are externally balanced. I think the Dakota has a 5.2, but for everyone looking for info, I'll go over all of them. Situation #1: If your Ramcharger is an LA318, you can just bolt the Magnum 5.2 engine and transmission together, using the same zero balance torque converter. Since both engines are internally balanced, everything is compatible. Situation #2: If your Ramcharger came with a LA 360, and you're bolting in a Magnum 5.2, you'll need to remove the weights from the old torque converter(weights were welded to the LA 360 torque converter to balance the engine), or get a zero-balance converter from an LA 318 engine, or new one. Situation #3: If you're Ramcharger came with a 318 and you have a Magnum 5.9, you'll need to get a torque converter weighted for the Magnum 5.9, since it's externally balanced. HOWEVER, in around 1996, Dodge moved the weights from the torque converter to the flex plate on the 5.9. Even though your engine is a 94, most dealers started using the newer setup for warranty work on the older Magnum engines. Just look for weights on the flex plate, as well as an orange sticker warning of the conversion. If the flex plate is weighted, you can use the old 318 zero-balance converter. Situation #4: If your Ramcharger came with a 360 and your installing a Magnum 5.9, you still need to get a converter weighted for the Magnum engine, even though both were externally balanced. Again, check the flex plate for weights. If it's weighted, you can use a zero-balance converter.

WOW, that turned into a book. I think that's about it. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

-J

Old 06-10-2007, 11:05 AM
crazypete
Rookie

a serpentine belt conversion kit for the LA's might come in handy too:
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...p;autoview=sku

Theres a V8 Magnum at a junkyard in one of the later model R/C's (not parted yet) I'd love to put that in my old '86 magnums are so much easier to work on . maybe find one like that with a 727 tranny and take its torque converter/weight plate to your 88' if it'll fit, that would save alot of mess or with balancing, or it could cuase loads of problems :/ nvrmnd.

Quick Reply: ramcharger swap