Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon Grrrr!! Tough Trucks! The Dodge Ramcharger and Plymouth Trailduster were full size SUV's that had good looks and brute strength. The Dodge Power Wagon was comparable to them in toughness, but came in pickup truck form only.

Ramcharger EFI or Carb?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 08:55 PM
V16
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ramcharger EFI or Carb?

I have put up with Chevy's tooo long, buncha POS's, so now I want to get a Ramcharger because I want the "REAL" suv'ness' that it looks like it is, but I have run into some decisions. I want it to have power is the key so the 360 would probably be good but should I get one that is EFI or Carb? I don't know about dodges reputations with either one all I have heard is the Ramcharger in general lasts forever, and the year I am thinking of would be 1980-1993 But 1993's are $$ since they have the "magnum" thing. Anyways you get the idea. Gas mileage is kind of a factor but hell I am gonna get in the teens or single digits for whatever I do so it shouldn't make a difference. Thanks.

Old 05-02-2005, 09:17 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Ramcharger EFI or Carb?

i have an 83..it has taken a brutal beating....its a 360, 2wd, carb engine...it runs a bit rough in the AM, but my pops got the carb all dialed in right, so it runs pretty well...

Old 05-02-2005, 09:32 PM
V16

Which one lasts longer? I know carburators are a pain in the cold (and seeing as how I have a lot of cold days I am starting to wonder..) so maybe EFI would be better but they are so damn computer related and all the wires and crap are just yelling to screw up, but if it runs better then I guess it would be better. What year did Ramchargers get EFI on the 360? I thought it was 1990 but not sure.

Old 05-03-2005, 05:46 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the last couple years had them. You can get a fully adjustable, capable of supporting up to 450HP EFI system from Edelbrock for a Mopar smallblock. The kit is pricey, but comes with everything you need to get it working.

Old 05-03-2005, 09:49 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

it comes down to what youre willing to pay for here...if you want to have it easier, you can get the big money EFI...but you have to deal with the mess that is electronics...i dont like having to deal with that crap...with the mirada, when it sputters, there can only be a handful or reasons why...where as if the stratus sputters i have to have it scanned..it could be a bad computer..so on...i hate fuel injection...and dealing with the ECU BS.

Old 05-03-2005, 11:44 PM
moparturd
Banned

The system from Edelbrock is a self contained system, but again the cost is high. It comes with a baseline program that will get you running and you tune from there. Of course you have to be able to tune a car for fuel mixture and timing, but it is completely customizable. I wish I could afford one.

Old 05-08-2005, 01:51 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

hmmm...ive never seen one in practice....

Old 05-08-2005, 11:41 AM
moparturd
Banned

I don't know if you could ID one from just looking at the engine. The controller is mounted inside the car where you can get at it to make adjustments. It's pretty low key looking.

Old 05-08-2005, 02:36 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

i have seen one, but never in a performance setting..when i was a tech i had a customer with a built 60s jeep...wagoneer maybe? it was a huge suv....with a wide body kit..locking front and rear difs...it had the edelbrock FI, but he said that it came on the truck, and that he didnt know what it cost, or how it works...

but i know this old jeep with a 401 would roast all four mud tires.

Old 05-09-2005, 09:07 PM
V16

Ok carb it is, I was waiting for someone to say all the electronics on FI sucked because I didn't know if they were easy to deal with or not, I guess not and I hate electronics anyways so I guess carb will be good, I live in missouri so cold starting shouldn't be that much of a problem, usually just gets to 10F at the lowest in winter but seems to stay cold all winter but I guess thats not too cold to really care. What year did the ramcharger's 360 switch to TBI or EFI?

Quick Reply: Ramcharger EFI or Carb?