Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon Grrrr!! Tough Trucks! The Dodge Ramcharger and Plymouth Trailduster were full size SUV's that had good looks and brute strength. The Dodge Power Wagon was comparable to them in toughness, but came in pickup truck form only.

1988 ramcharger newb questions

Old 10-08-2017, 03:43 PM
Oldbull
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 ramcharger newb questions

Hey guys. I have a 1988 ramcharger 100 318 auto 4x4. This is actually my first gasoline vehicle that ive personally owned and am able to play and learn with. Im more of a diesel guy i have a 93 first gen cummins that made 400 hp. Anyway i love the ramcharger i got it off my dad. Always wanted a cool gas vehicle to run around in. Would really like to learn more about how this thing works, the injection sytem (i understand its a throttle body i think???) and what options i have as far as upgrades and performance while keep the factory motor in it. Also would like some help with adressing some of the dinky things that need to be fixed on it before upgrades, paint, wheels and tires ect. Thanks!

Old 10-08-2017, 05:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Congrats! They are fun vehicles.

Your still has the LA style small block, and is OBDI.... that limits you on what kind of performance upgrades you can do.... Probably best thing to start out with would be doing ALL the maintenance.... make sure it is running as good as possible for it's age. Get the problem areas addressed, and then decide what takes priority for 'improvements'.

Welcome to DF!

Old 10-08-2017, 07:51 PM
Oldbull

Thank you! What exactly is obdi?? It has already had a new tps. New plugs, wires and cap and rotor. A oil change and trans fluid change and filter change all done over the summer.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

On Board Diagnostics. First Generation. Second came about in 96. Second gen is flash-programmable, so, you can make serious changes, and then load a new tune on the PCM that takes them in to account. Can't do that on OBDI..... So, ya gotta be careful just what changes you make.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:39 PM
Oldbull

So what are my options as far as upgrades/performance. This thing is 100% factory. So i had plans to do headers and true duals. But i also read on i think ramcharger central, that if you do a low restrcition air filter and exhaust it could make the 88 model run really lean. But like i said im very new to the gas world

Old 10-08-2017, 09:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

That's what the O2 sensor is for. Not to mention, chrysler always tends to run things a bit rich in open loop anyway. (in open loop, the PCM runs the engine from tables, O2 sensor doesn't play a role. When it goes into closed loop, the O2 sensor has the most effect on mixture.)

Helping the engine breath better is NOT going to hurt you. Headers, (1 5/8ths primary tubes if you can find 'em.) 2.25, or 2.5 inch pipe all the way back, and the mufflers of your choice. If you have to install cats as well, make sure they are the high flow units. There are even 'computer friendly' cams you can install. Not much of a bump, but, still better than stock.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:37 PM
Oldbull

Well i like the sound of that! I wanted to do a set of hooker headers cause i heard the fit around the starter?? I think. Then to a cherry bomb glasspack turn down under the cab or just regular glasspacks and then run the hooker true dual system all the way back. Is there any cold air intake/ air filter systems that are good?

Old 10-09-2017, 09:08 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I am not really a fan of the so-called "CAI's" most of them draw air from the same place the stock systems do in any event...... since yours is TBI, I would expect to see a round air cleaner on top of the throttle body..... so, it likely actually DOES draw in hot air from the engine compartment. There may be (or, may have been at one time....) ducting that goes to the radiator support, or somewhere similar, that was supposed to draw cooler air...... They tend to get removed, and then not replaced when working on something else under the hood.....

In all reality, likely just a good open element air cleaner will give you better flow, sure, it'll be drawing hot air, until the truck is moving along fairly well...... A hood scoop, or cowl induction hood, that is sealed to the air cleaner would be best..... I don't know if there are any folks that still make CAI's for the older vehicles...... (but then, I haven't really looked either. )

Old 10-09-2017, 11:18 AM
Oldbull

The one on there isnt open its like a cai style it runs out to the fender. So i guess just leave it like that??

Old 10-09-2017, 08:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Pretty much. That's likely as good as it's going to get... and for the cost, the CAI simply is not worth the 1 horsepower you may get at 5500 RPM......

Search this Thread