1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Driveshaft Center Support

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 02:04 PM
peacockj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft Center Support

Hi all! I tried to pull the drive shaft on my 1995 5-speed 3.9 2WD to change a u-joint and the rear came off fine but but the driveshaft center suport won't let me pull the other end out from the tranny. Its just bolted on but its so rusted I can't get it off. I was thinking of just tearing the rubber bearing part out and buying a new one. Anyone think that a new one will slide right in or am I just goging to make it worse?

Old 10-19-2007, 06:02 PM
Wick93
Default RE: Driveshaft Center Support

That's your carrier bearing and it usually comes as a whole unit. Sounds like you will have to cut the bolts to get it off.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:06 PM
DR1300R

I am getting ready to do this same thing to my 92 club cab w/3.9 and a auto trans.. any trick I need to know as I will be replacing everything front, rear and carrier.. any insight would be appreciated..

Old 10-20-2007, 03:20 PM
codydakota
Captain

If you have the space and the tools, you get use a torch and get the bolts good and hot, then turn 'em out, you could get a drill and drill thru the bolts, then break the assembly loose, both ways have served me well depending on what I had available.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:21 PM
Wick93

In every carrier bearing I have run across, it is just a bolt through some sort of crossmember with a nut on the other side. You shouldn't have to drill and tap anything, just replace the bolt and nut after you cut them off. I am very glad I have never had to deal with the salt eating my truck.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:19 AM
peacockj

I was able to remove the carrier bearing by use of brute force. Gotta love having a long breaker bar. The bolts simply snaped off. Now that the drive shaft is out, I am ready to replace the carrier bearing but it appears to be pressed on. Am I wasting my time trying to remove that myself? I'm starting to think that I'll need to bring it to a drive shaft shop. Has anyone here successfully changed one themselves?

Old 11-03-2007, 07:54 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

When I had my 2wd I did replace the bering also and I think I did take it to a shop to have them press it on. Some Napa and checker locations have presses and they only charge $7 or so to do it.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:17 AM
peacockj

I think I'll bring the drive shaft to a shop this week. I might as well get it balanced at the same time. Does anyone know how much I can expect to pay for balancing?

Old 11-26-2007, 10:42 AM
peacockj

In case anyone is interested... I brought the new carrier bearing and drive shaft to a drive shaft shop and they installed/balanced it for under $100.

Old Today, 01:41 PM
Chetti2

Originally Posted by peacockj
Hi all! I tried to pull the drive shaft on my 1995 5-speed 3.9 2WD to change a u-joint and the rear came off fine but but the driveshaft center suport won't let me pull the other end out from the tranny. Its just bolted on but its so rusted I can't get it off. I was thinking of just tearing the rubber bearing part out and buying a new one. Anyone think that a new one will slide right in or am I just goging to make it worse?
It will not slide back on it will not slide off best thing to do is get a breaker bar and get those Rusty bolts off

Quick Reply: Driveshaft Center Support