Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

ASD relay clicks fast cooler weather no start

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2024, 08:04 AM
GDMACK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASD relay clicks fast cooler weather no start

Good day folks .. I have a 1992 Dodge 250 Pleasure way camper van. Its has the 318.
Ever since taking it out of storage in April , I am having an issues starting it. On cool/colder mornings, the key is turned to start, it will turn over but not start. Prior to storage, the van always started up like a champ. When i try a second time, I hear the ASD clicking fast for about 15 seconds then the fast clicking slows down then eventually stops after about 35 seconds. After the ASD stops clicking completely, I try starting it for a third time, and it starts up fine. On days that, that i dont start it until later in the day and the weather has warmed up, the van will start with no problems. I noticed as well the fuel gauge is no longer accurate, the needle fluctuates. Since the ASD was clicking i figured i would replace it. The ASD and Fuel Pump relay come together on the same mounting bracket, so both were replaced. however this did not fix the issue. Hopefully, someone has already had or know what the issue is.

Old 07-30-2024, 06:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,297 Likes on 3,043 Posts

Have your battery tested. Those are all symptoms of a weak one.

Old Yesterday, 05:36 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

First thing when it is cold, use a hairdryer to warm up the engine computer, then try and start it. If it starts right up, the ECM is on its way out.

Old Yesterday, 07:00 AM
GDMACK

Good morning. Thanks so much for your quick responses!!!
I checked the battery this morning, it was 12.4
It's 18 degrees (64 F) here this morning and a bit muggy (warm and humid). When I attempted to start the van it wouldn't start, I put a small hair dryer on the ECM for about 2mins. Tried again, the van started right up, not as smooth as it usually does but it did start and come to life.

Is this a component failure on its way, or is there something i can do myself to fix? Clean contacts or something? reseat the connections? When it comes to replacing the ECM, is that something I can find second hand, at an auto salvage, or buy new? I would assume, aside from the cost of buying it, it would also need to be programed, by a certified mechanic?

Last edited by GDMACK; Yesterday at 07:45 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,297 Likes on 3,043 Posts

No programming necessary for a 92. Just need to the correct computer for your year engine/trans combo. I highly doubt you will find one new.... so, reman, or, if you get lucky, salvage yard will be just fine.

Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM
turboregal
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
No programming necessary for a 92. Just need to the correct computer for your year engine/trans combo. I highly doubt you will find one new.... so, reman, or, if you get lucky, salvage yard will be just fine.
To add: These reman'd PCMs are getting hard to come by. RockAuto is a good place to verify which unit you would need to install without any sort of programming. On my PCM, there is a white sticker label on the passenger side of the PCM housing with a four digit number that corresponds to the last four numbers of the part number of the different PCMs available.

Another option is to go hunting on eBay for small outfits that offer to test and/or repair the PCM. Be advised that, if you go this route, it's possible that you might send it off only to find that it's not able to be repaired.

Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM
GDMACK

Thanks so much ! I'll look into finding a used one. I'll report back with the results! Crossing fingers!

Old Today, 12:46 PM
GDMACK

Im still looking for a ECM. However today, its 27 degrees outside (80) and the van still does start even after putting the hair dryer on the ECM. Yesterday, the van started up no problems. I drove it most of the evening.

Quick Reply: ASD relay clicks fast cooler weather no start