Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

I need help please; Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 05:33 AM
Obiec
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help please; Headlights

I just purchased a 1988 dodge b250 camper van. I have no headlights. When you pull the headlight dimmer switch on the colum, they will come on. But go out when you let go. It dose not madder if you have the headlight switch on or not. But they will not come on with the headlight switch. I replaced the headlight switch, and that did not help. I would not mind putting in a floor switch for the high lows and getting it off the columb. I need a wiring diagram? Or? I did see something about (Jim Lane's head light harness upgrade), but I can't find it anywhere. Please help if you can.

Last edited by Obiec; 06-19-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:07 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you don't need a wiring diagram to fix these headlight issues.

old cars/trucks/campers, whatever have corrosion issues at the bulb end usually

arm yourself with a screwdriver, needle nose, fine sandpaper, a nailfile, and some contact cleaner in a spray can and a roll of electrical tape

start with the headlight sockets, pull them off the bulbs one at a time, clean the sockets and corroded contacts on the headlamp with file and sandpaper... replace the headlight sockets if you want if they are real bad... can be gotten at any autoparts outlet pretty cheap... the upgraded sockets cost a little more but are probably not absolutely necessary

if one is bad, then there are others... I have had wires fall off the connectors with the slightest touch... look at all of your light connections

after finishing each lamp, test your headlights/all lights

Old 06-19-2017, 11:10 AM
Obiec

It's not that simple, I wish it was. The tail lights work and the turn signals also, just no head lights unless you pull the bright switch, but then they go out as soon as you let it go.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:55 AM
rsdata
Captain

so you are assuming the headlight wiring at the sockets is GOOD? bad assumption which is why there IS or WAS a headlight upgrade thread... which basically said to use relays and new sockets to bypass the inadequate headlight wiring to the bulbs from the switch to the battery because the sockets got cooked...

lighting is never simple... especially on older vehicles

good luck

Old 06-19-2017, 02:17 PM
Obiec

What you might be missing is that when I pull the hi low switch and hold it back headlights come on. So the sockets at the head lights are making contact.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:38 PM
rsdata
Captain

what you might be missing is that electrons make there way anyway they can to lite up lights that normally don't work through any path they can make... so the sockets may not be bad but then again you don't know that without looking...

just saying I have solved a number of goofy lighting issues that others have given up on by making sure the easy basics like corroded sockets and corroded connections are working and the big problems usually solve themselves... but don't take my advice... it is up to you

Old 06-19-2017, 04:02 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would pull the headlight connectors and check for voltage across the terminals with the switches in various positions. I've seen lots of these vans driving around with really dim headlights which makes me think there is a bad connection somewhere.
Does your high beam switch feel like it is operating properly?
Steve

Old 06-19-2017, 07:22 PM
Obiec

Yes switch clicks and feels like it should. And when you are holding it in lights a very bright, I will check the voltage and connections when I get home.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:28 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you swapped a new or known working used bub in place of one side or the other? Checked the fuses in both the engine compartment and driver side dash panel (no mention of that)?
You have high but no low beam obviously

Old 06-19-2017, 11:41 PM
Obiec

No I do not have high beams, or low, these have a built in flasher (AKA when you pull back on high low switch they turn headlights on, but only till you relise the lever, this works with headlight switch on or off. I do not think there is a fuse box exempt in the glove box, and fuses are good. Also headlights are good connections are good.
What I need is a wiring diagram so I can find the wires that go to hi, low switch. Or put in a floor switch

Quick Reply: I need help please; Headlights