Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

what size radiator? 2 core or 4 core

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 09:18 AM
Dodge_USA_Dude
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what size radiator? 2 core or 4 core

What size radiator do I need on a 03 ram van 1500? Thanks in advance.

The reason I am asking is because I brought the van in to an A/C shop and the mech told me that my radiator is too small (2 core not 4 core) and I shouldn't have went with an electric fan. I know a lot of people have switched to electric fans so I am suspicious. Thing is, I am having some cooling issues, but I think they are related to the temp controller not turning the fan on at the right temp. and I also did not put the fan shroud back in.

Anyway, any help is appreciated.

Last edited by Dodge_USA_Dude; 07-07-2017 at 10:09 AM. Reason: added explanation
Old 07-07-2017, 11:48 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

The 2 row radiator is sufficient unless you live down in the southwest where temperatures can hit 125F outside, in which case a thicker radiator is a good idea. Also if you do heavy towing the thicker one is the better choice. Aside from those 2 conditions the larger radiator is just a waste of money.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:08 PM
Dodge_USA_Dude
Professional

Thanks for the quick reply. What do you consider "heavy towing"? Right now, the vehicle is just a 2nd ride for use on weekends at parks, camp, etc., but I do plan on towing maybe max 5k lbs boat. I believe the van with the 5.9l is rated for 10k. Also I am in Florida. Max here is upper 90 degrees.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:02 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

a 15 yr old radiator has probably seen better days... go with the biggest you can get...
and who said FL is not HOT?
your electric fan may NOT be pulling enough air through a large enough area of the rad

Old 07-08-2017, 10:32 AM
Dodge_USA_Dude
Professional

Rsdata, unfortunately I already have the smaller rad or I would go with the largest version. I am just trying to determine if what I have is too small now. I replaced my rad a few months ago and upgraded to the electric fan based on what I read here. When I ordered the rad I didn't see options for different sizes.

I'm going to put my shroud back on and see if that helps. I also don't know why the temp controller isn't turning the fan on at a lower temp, but I'll call flex a lit and see what they say.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:10 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by nyc05dakv8
I'm going to put my shroud back on and see if that helps.
Absolutely it will.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:27 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

might not help much since he has electric fan which is probably mounted directly to rad

I think the fan gives too small an area for cooling effect to be great enough

Old 07-09-2017, 11:38 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by rsdata
I think the fan gives too small an area for cooling effect to be great enough
Sure but keep in mind the fan is only necessary below 35 MPH. Over that and the forward motion of the van forces more air through the radiator than even the mechanical fan can draw. So any fan related issues can only occur at idle or around town on the slow roads.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:41 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Rsdata, unfortunately I already have the smaller rad
Then since you already own it just go for it. Install what you have and go drive. I doubt you'll have any issues. If you're uncomfortable and able to return it and get the larger one then do so.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:17 PM
mgoblue9798
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What size radiator do I need on a 03 ram van 1500? Thanks in advance.

The reason I am asking is because I brought the van in to an A/C shop and the mech told me that my radiator is too small (2 core not 4 core) and I shouldn't have went with an electric fan. I know a lot of people have switched to electric fans so I am suspicious. Thing is, I am having some cooling issues, but I think they are related to the temp controller not turning the fan on at the right temp. and I also did not put the fan shroud back in.

Anyway, any help is appreciated.
I bought a flea bay 3 core solid welded aluminum radiator for around $175. Coupled this with a dual fan setup from a 2000 intrepid. Used an old trunk weatherstrip placed around the perimeter of the fan and shroud assembly. This and a 180 thermostat and the van will run at 180 on all but the very hottest of days. I live in Atlanta so heat is an issue here.
If your fan setup is not sealed tight against the radiator it likely will not pull enough air to keep it cool.