2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brakes work...sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 08:43 AM
Justin Mareiro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes work...sometimes

Hey everyone I'm look to get some help narrowing down what is going on with me brake system. I've read countless threads on brake issues associated with these truck with no match to my symptoms. Okay so here it is, it's a 1998 ram 1500 with the 5.9 and 188k. Last year I replace every brake component there is lines, mc, booster, pads, rotors, abs module ect. Everything has since worked great until last weekend. I had it parked while camping and when I went to go home my abs light and brake light came on along with a super soft pedal but it still stopped. So I went looking for a leak with no luck, so I shut the truck off and restarted and the lights when away and I got my pedal back. Then a few days later the lights came back along with the soft pedal and I can't get it to go off. I am not losing any fluid and when I shut the truck off the pedal will get hard.

Any ideas????

Thanks

Old 09-11-2017, 09:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,212 Likes on 2,963 Posts

Get the codes read, and see what the abs system is whining about.

2 or 4 wheel ABS?

Old 09-11-2017, 10:45 AM
cruzer55
Veteran

Try bleeding the system again.It might have sucked air (loose lid on master)or parts unk.Just a thought..............

Old 05-04-2024, 06:55 PM
2005RAMman99

Originally Posted by cruzer55
Try bleeding the system again.It might have sucked air (loose lid on master)or parts unk.Just a thought..............
I appreciate the ideas. But been there done that on this problem. This problem existed before replacing every single brake system component. And after.

Next is to buy some unions and adapter fittings and bypass the Kelsey Hayes ABS unit.

Almost 100% sure the pedal will be perfect after doing this. Thus pinpointing the Kelsey Hayes ABS as the culprit.

We shall see.

Old 05-04-2024, 07:00 PM
2005RAMman99

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Get the codes read, and see what the abs system is whining about.

2 or 4 wheel ABS?
My man,

No codes. ABS Moudule OK.
ABS works.
ABS valve body is suspect.
Something not right inside there.
I have heard these units can be be a real bear.
I replaced with good condition junkyard unit.
Same exact problem.

Old 05-04-2024, 07:28 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 124 Likes on 112 Posts

Weird. I too was wondering about the ABS module. If you pull codes while the BRAKE and ABS lights are on you should get something.

Only a small handful of scanners can do it, though. The average code reader won't/can't. What exactly were you using to check for ABS codes??

Old 05-04-2024, 08:25 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 310 Likes on 292 Posts

It would be helpful to know if the truck is 2 wheel or 4 wheel ABS. Are there any wires going to wheel sensors on the front hubs? If so, you have 4 wheel ABS. If you haven't already, good to review the factory service manual for your year truck, as there are some good troubleshooting information on the brake & ABS systems in there - https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...e-manuals.html

Old 05-05-2024, 08:21 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 352 Likes on 331 Posts

I appreciate the ideas. But been there done that on this problem. This problem existed before replacing every single brake system component. And after.
You are not even the starter of this thread and you resurrected a 7 year old one. I'm surprised the moderators didn't close it yet and tell you to start your own thread with YOUR specific problem.

Old 05-05-2024, 08:48 AM
2005RAMman99

Originally Posted by Moparite
You are not even the starter of this thread and you resurrected a 7 year old one. I'm surprised the moderators didn't close it yet and tell you to start your own thread with YOUR specific problem.
Sorry about that. It was not my intention to do so.
The system attached this other thread to mine as I scrolIed down and I thought these were answers to my issue.

I do have my own thread. Thanks for the help.

Old 05-05-2024, 09:19 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 124 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 2005RAMman99
Sorry about that. It was not my intention to do so.
The system attached this other thread to mine as I scrolIed down and I thought these were answers to my issue.

I do have my own thread. Thanks for the help.
It's VERY common with this BBS style that just flows old threads directly under the current thread. Happens daily on FTE, too.

Quick Reply: Brakes work...sometimes