1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Good set of shocks for 93 4wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 11:02 AM
Josephrking
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good set of shocks for 93 4wheel?

Put my truck on a lift this weekend to replace muffler and o2 sensor and on the way home started bottoming out.

any suggestions on a good set of front and rear shocks?

Thanks guys!

joe

Old 03-12-2018, 01:13 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Disclaimer! I have a set for sale I'd love to sell to you! *grins*

I have KYB GR-2 shocks all around on my 2WD; they're great for day to day driving. Now, if you do much off roading, they are not optimum; but the optimum mud-buggy shocks will loosen fillings and screws on Louisiana / Arkansas roads.

I had ordered the 4WD variants accidently, and had them on my shelf too long to get my money back. *Drats*

Again, disclaimer: I'd love to sell them to you, but don't feel any obligation; they collect dust just fine here *grins*

RwP

Old 03-12-2018, 06:00 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

I have had the best ride and longevity out of Gabriel Ultra. and I found them (can't remember which place I got front or back) between RockAuto and Amazon for the best price. When I bought the ones for my 4wd, Useless Zone wanted $36 each, I paid $18-20 each. got the fronts one place, backs the other place listed.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:34 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Monroe sensatracs for the front and Monroe coil over load adjusting shocks for the rear. If you use your truck as a truck, I believe this is the best set up.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:00 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker

I can agree with the coil overs for the rear but MY experience with the Sensatracs is that the ones I had (on more than 1 vehicle) went to $#!t in a short while and had to re replace them.

If the price were right I might be inclined to take Ralph up on his offer....

Old 03-12-2018, 11:24 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by volaredon
I can agree with the coil overs for the rear but MY experience with the Sensatracs is that the ones I had (on more than 1 vehicle) went to $#!t in a short while and had to re replace them.

If the price were right I might be inclined to take Ralph up on his offer....
PM me with an offer. Front and back for a 4WD Gen1 Dakota (specifically for a 1988; verify they fit yours!)

RwP

Old 03-15-2018, 03:59 PM
Josephrking
Rookie

Thanks for the info guys and thanks for the offer to buy those...

i ended up just buying some cheap ones off of amazon. This is a $200 truck so didn’t wanna go to crazy.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:24 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker

a good set of shocks cheap is one thing... a set of cheap shocks is a total waste of money and time to install. You'll be sorry....
I have had a lot of $200 vehicles that have lasted me a long time.... but just because I bought them cheap I always fix them up like I am gonna keep them "forever".... because I drive the snot out of them and hate redoing the same job over... buying cheap parts guarantees re-do's....
Are you planning on trying to "flip" it or drive it? If youre looking to drive it, then the money put into it to make it dependable, (catch up on neglected maintenance) and maybe customize it a bit is money well spent.

My 93 was $500 with a dead tranny... I had a 5 speed in the garage (went looking for something to put the trans into and wound up with that truck) bought off of CL, converted from auto to stick, put 72K miles on it over 4 years and only got rid of it after a BAD wreck rendering the truck unfixable... bent frame, bent firewall, bed off center from the cab 3-1/2", etc.... a lot of people who buy a new car don't keep them that many miles and lose their azz..... I miss that truck... V8 and 20mpg...

I then bought my current 92 to replace it almost 2 years ago.... $1100 from a local used car lot, had brand new tires and exhaust on it ( would have cost me at least half of that price, to replace the tires and exhaust myself) bought with 165K, just turned 204K on the way home from work today, and counting. 2 weekends ago I put the auto trans that I took out of the 93 into it after I rebuilt it and bought a new converter into it.... the next day my waterpump died so I replaced that along with timing chain "because I was right there" and had it apart anyway.
that is my 3 season daily driver and and camper/utility trailer puller.... I think nothing of jumping in this truck, hooking up the camper and going 2 states away...... it has been a good truck. I drive this one 70 miles (at least) EVERY day even though I only work 5 days a week..... I haven't missed work yet on account of this truck. but I miss my 5 speed.....

A year ago I bought the 96 4wd that my wife is currently driving daily. I have been all through this truck, have put some money into parts but virtually zero labor (I do all my own) paid $800 with the trans and T case in the bed..... past owner had gotten a quote for $2800 for a trans overhaul.... I rebuilt it myself with a mild shift kit, and new converter for less than $300 total, including that expensive ATF+4. I don't have $2800 in it to this day, and I went thru the front end (suspension and differential both, all new bearings throughout) put new tires on it, overhauled the rear end and added a brand new Trak lok (because I had it here collecting dust, bought years ago for a different project, something that I could not pass it up for the price I paid.... try finding one today for what I paid.... haha)
front bearings for the diff cost me $40, got rebuild kit from private party on Ebay..... I have new doors and fenders for this one on hand. this truck had 167k on it, a year later has 184k....and increasing daily..... . last year I used this one as my camping rig, it took a couple of pretty long road trips and never gave me a bit of problem.... Zero payments, gets me where I need to go dependably just as well as a $65k new truck would..... I will never buy a new truck. ever.

I put the shocks I suggested above on all 3, each shortly after I got them. All got new brakes (as needed), complete tuneups and every belt and hose replaced as soon as I got them home. I did not care what condition the old parts might have been.
these trucks are machines, there is no machine ever built that does not need MAINTENANCE!!!! That is, unless you want an unreliable piece of crap.

I like Rockauto, when I see parts that will fit my trucks on clearance or "private label closeout", I stock up on the common stuff. It seems that as long as I have spare parts on hand, I have less of a need for said parts....

I have had a couple more Dakotas prior to these 3 as well (a 90 longbed and a 94 reg cab short bed both had the 3.9) but the 3 I describe above, are all 318 club cabs...... and I will probably have another Gen1 Dakota, once these are driven into the ground..... or a deal falls into my lap that I can't pass up. that's why I like having spare parts, they definitely will not go to waste/

Last edited by volaredon; 03-15-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:39 PM
Josephrking
Rookie
Default All done!

got the shocks installed tonight
Had a power steering leak so that’s what that is
went with monroe mono matic.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:40 PM
Josephrking
Rookie

Originally Posted by volaredon
a good set of shocks cheap is one thing... a set of cheap shocks is a total waste of money and time to install. You'll be sorry....
I have had a lot of $200 vehicles that have lasted me a long time.... but just because I bought them cheap I always fix them up like I am gonna keep them "forever".... because I drive the snot out of them and hate redoing the same job over... buying cheap parts guarantees re-do's....
Are you planning on trying to "flip" it or drive it? If youre looking to drive it, then the money put into it to make it dependable, (catch up on neglected maintenance) and maybe customize it a bit is money well spent.

My 93 was $500 with a dead tranny... I had a 5 speed in the garage (went looking for something to put the trans into and wound up with that truck) bought off of CL, converted from auto to stick, put 72K miles on it over 4 years and only got rid of it after a BAD wreck rendering the truck unfixable... bent frame, bent firewall, bed off center from the cab 3-1/2", etc.... a lot of people who buy a new car don't keep them that many miles and lose their azz..... I miss that truck... V8 and 20mpg...

I then bought my current 92 to replace it almost 2 years ago.... $1100 from a local used car lot, had brand new tires and exhaust on it ( would have cost me at least half of that price, to replace the tires and exhaust myself) bought with 165K, just turned 204K on the way home from work today, and counting. 2 weekends ago I put the auto trans that I took out of the 93 into it after I rebuilt it and bought a new converter into it.... the next day my waterpump died so I replaced that along with timing chain "because I was right there" and had it apart anyway.
that is my 3 season daily driver and and camper/utility trailer puller.... I think nothing of jumping in this truck, hooking up the camper and going 2 states away...... it has been a good truck. I drive this one 70 miles (at least) EVERY day even though I only work 5 days a week..... I haven't missed work yet on account of this truck. but I miss my 5 speed.....

A year ago I bought the 96 4wd that my wife is currently driving daily. I have been all through this truck, have put some money into parts but virtually zero labor (I do all my own) paid $800 with the trans and T case in the bed..... past owner had gotten a quote for $2800 for a trans overhaul.... I rebuilt it myself with a mild shift kit, and new converter for less than $300 total, including that expensive ATF+4. I don't have $2800 in it to this day, and I went thru the front end (suspension and differential both, all new bearings throughout) put new tires on it, overhauled the rear end and added a brand new Trak lok (because I had it here collecting dust, bought years ago for a different project, something that I could not pass it up for the price I paid.... try finding one today for what I paid.... haha)
front bearings for the diff cost me $40, got rebuild kit from private party on Ebay..... I have new doors and fenders for this one on hand. this truck had 167k on it, a year later has 184k....and increasing daily..... . last year I used this one as my camping rig, it took a couple of pretty long road trips and never gave me a bit of problem.... Zero payments, gets me where I need to go dependably just as well as a $65k new truck would..... I will never buy a new truck. ever.

I put the shocks I suggested above on all 3, each shortly after I got them. All got new brakes (as needed), complete tuneups and every belt and hose replaced as soon as I got them home. I did not care what condition the old parts might have been.
these trucks are machines, there is no machine ever built that does not need MAINTENANCE!!!! That is, unless you want an unreliable piece of crap.

I like Rockauto, when I see parts that will fit my trucks on clearance or "private label closeout", I stock up on the common stuff. It seems that as long as I have spare parts on hand, I have less of a need for said parts....

I have had a couple more Dakotas prior to these 3 as well (a 90 longbed and a 94 reg cab short bed both had the 3.9) but the 3 I describe above, are all 318 club cabs...... and I will probably have another Gen1 Dakota, once these are driven into the ground..... or a deal falls into my lap that I can't pass up. that's why I like having spare parts, they definitely will not go to waste/
yeah I agree. I’ve been doing small stuff to the truck over the last couple of months. It does run quite a bit better. 140k on it now.

Quick Reply: Good set of shocks for 93 4wheel?