3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help! bad throttle response, bad gas mileage, and bogging down

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 12:16 AM
Ryanfisher60
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! bad throttle response, bad gas mileage, and bogging down

I bought an 06 ram1500 mega cab back in September. I dont know where to begin . I noticed since then it lost power, has bad accerleration, and boggs down bad until I give it enough gas to make it switch gears. Also my tacometer is not working properly . I put in a CAI, new fuel pump,cleaned the throttle body, put in tecron, nothing changed . not throwing any codes nor does it have check engine lights .It sounds like it needs more gas or air. I've been trying my best to try to read up on it and dont want to go starting changing valves and sensors . but I might have too. Could it be the MAP sensor, the EGR valve, catalytic conveter, mass air flow or even something wrong with the MDS. PLEASE help!

Last edited by Ryanfisher60; 03-15-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:11 PM
FaceDeAce
Veteran
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Could be any one of a number of things. You've pretty much listed it off every one of them. With no codes it is near impossible to narrow it down. Are there no codes because the PCM is not setting any or because you do not have an OBD tool to read them? Without codes, you will go into the old way of doing things; just replacing parts one by one until the culprit is changed. May get lucky on the first component or it may be hundreds of dollars later and be the last one. .... Start with the EGR valve.
You also need to tell use which engine this is as well as auto/manual 4wd/2wd.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:58 PM
Ryanfisher60

Its a 5.7 hemi and its 2wd automatic .I had a buddys diagnostic handheld. Not sure which one . Idles fine but tacometer acts up after the truck is barely warmed up .There's also I slight tick passenger side, seems to be right next to the exaust but i thought it could be the "hemi tick"? I switched to full synthetic to see if that would quiet down the tick but nothing. Also I ran a self test on the tachometer when it was cold and the tachometer didn't work properly. Can that cause performance problems?

Last edited by Ryanfisher60; 03-15-2018 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:34 PM
Ramchu
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lost power, has bad accerleration, and boggs down bad
I would be looking at the catalytic converter and O2 sensors
Try removing the O2 sensors from the exhaust and see if there is an alteration in performance,
If there is then most likely a plugged cat.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:41 PM
FaceDeAce
Veteran

Originally Posted by Ryanfisher60
Its a 5.7 hemi and its 2wd automatic .I had a buddys diagnostic handheld. Not sure which one . Idles fine but tacometer acts up after the truck is barely warmed up .There's also I slight tick passenger side, seems to be right next to the exaust but i thought it could be the "hemi tick"? I switched to full synthetic to see if that would quiet down the tick but nothing. Also I ran a self test on the tachometer when it was cold and the tachometer didn't work properly. Can that cause performance problems?

For that ticking sound, look here: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...nny-story.html

For the tach problem, and probably the actual source of the rest of your problems, look for and inspect / test / replace the crank position sensor.

Last edited by FaceDeAce; 03-15-2018 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:44 PM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

Yep, replace the crank position sensor first. It's easy to do. O2 sensor next if you still have symptoms.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:41 PM
FaceDeAce
Veteran

A tip: O2 sensors rarely fail. The way to check them is with a OBD scanner while the truck is running. Look for the live raw feedback from the O2 on the scanner. If that number is bouncing around 3 times per second, especially after tapping the throttle, then the sensor is fine and you can save the money. If the O2 raw number is stuck or flatlined, unchanging or very very slow to change then replace the sensor.

Buying your own OBD reader is a very good investment that pays for itself in saved costs.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:26 PM
Ryanfisher60
Default Thank guys

So today I looked and dont even have an egr valve .Not even on emmsion sticker . I went ahead and replaced the map sensor for the hell of it. Nothing. Will replace the crank sensor next .Thanks again .

Old 03-15-2018, 10:44 PM
FaceDeAce
Veteran

On the 5.7, the EGR valve is on the passenger side of the engine, right at the front of the exhaust manifold, below/behind the alternator. The EGR should show a code if it is faulting, but does not always. Most likely culprit based on symptoms you've posted thus far; is the crank sensor.

Last edited by FaceDeAce; 03-15-2018 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:49 PM
Ryanfisher60

Yea ive watched several videos how to change it .I'm pretty new to working on my own vehicles, but gotta learn sometime. Going to napa in the morning. Hopefully they have it .I hope this works.

Quick Reply: Help! bad throttle response, bad gas mileage, and bogging down