2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1997 4WD 5.9/5.9 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 07:50 AM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm on the downhill side of my 50's now and I've been under the hood of a car since my dad let me help him change the oil in his '62 Rambler. I was paid as a mechanic back when points and condensers (not the HVAC kind) n carbs were still the norm and I've done this for me, for free n once in a blue moon I still get paid. Most of what most us guys learn about cars comes not thru ASE approved education and certification, but thru Ph.Ds earned in busted knuckles, cussing, countless trips to the zone, 'cause the part isn't the correct one or making a tool that's too expensive to buy and torquing to spec meant..."lets see, right about there!" Computers have turned many of us into either electronic techs or caused us to mann the artillery with no understanding of ballistics when using a parts cannon, have turned the "mechanic" in auto mechanic on it's head. AND!!!, let's not forget that discovering a computer code is kinda like your wife or girlfriend asking you a deep/profound question...just 'cause they throw a code, it doesn't mean that's what's broken! These chat rooms are a godsend for guys like us. It still comes down to who's seen this problem before and knows what causes it. Think of how much money you've saved by just asking the google monster about the definition of a computer code that a repair shop wants a virgin sacrifice in order to repair and you end up here.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:19 PM
Jaw91097
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by true blue
I'm on the downhill side of my 50's now and I've been under the hood of a car since my dad let me help him change the oil in his '62 Rambler. I was paid as a mechanic back when points and condensers (not the HVAC kind) n carbs were still the norm and I've done this for me, for free n once in a blue moon I still get paid. Most of what most us guys learn about cars comes not thru ASE approved education and certification, but thru Ph.Ds earned in busted knuckles, cussing, countless trips to the zone, 'cause the part isn't the correct one or making a tool that's too expensive to buy and torquing to spec meant..."lets see, right about there!" Computers have turned many of us into either electronic techs or caused us to mann the artillery with no understanding of ballistics when using a parts cannon, have turned the "mechanic" in auto mechanic on it's head. AND!!!, let's not forget that discovering a computer code is kinda like your wife or girlfriend asking you a deep/profound question...just 'cause they throw a code, it doesn't mean that's what's broken! These chat rooms are a godsend for guys like us. It still comes down to who's seen this problem before and knows what causes it. Think of how much money you've saved by just asking the google monster about the definition of a computer code that a repair shop wants a virgin sacrifice in order to repair and you end up here.
I'm only 20, but these forums really are the best thing, better than a manual if you ask me.

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If the bolts break, you can still pull the manifold off. Then just clean them good with a wire brush, hit 'em with some chems, and take them out with vice grips. (or, if you have a welder, weld a nut onto the stud.)

Use the gaskets. You have them.

I would not run the engine without manifolds. Tends to burn exhaust valves.

For bolts stuck in sockets, I usually just bounce them off the concrete a couple times, and they come out. Or stick a punch up thru them, and bounce 'em on the floor. Worst case, screw the bolt back into the hole, so the socket comes loose, then take 'em out again.
Update: Broke all four studs clean off, I'll upload a picture of what they look like now, but it looks like the base of the nut is still on the threads, so I'm not sure how to remove those. I've got a buddy coming to help me on Monday and he's got most of the tools I'd need to get this finished up. Got those broken studs out of the sockets, thank you for the advice on that, saved me another $12.. Next post I'll post a picture of the bolts that are snapped, they're all the same, and the only thing left after those is getting the flange free I believe.

Again, thank you for all the help.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:18 PM
GreenRam5.2
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its tough when you are just starting out! keep at it the stuff you will learn doing this yourself and the pain that it is will get you going in the right direction when it comes to fixing you stuff it sucks at first but one day you start to know your way around and engine bay and that is a good day!

Old 03-30-2018, 12:38 AM
Jaw91097
Veteran

Originally Posted by GreenRam5.2
its tough when you are just starting out! keep at it the stuff you will learn doing this yourself and the pain that it is will get you going in the right direction when it comes to fixing you stuff it sucks at first but one day you start to know your way around and engine bay and that is a good day!
hoping that day comes sooner rather than later lol
but yeah there’s a lot of doubt between friends and family but they don’t realize it’s just a ton of bolts and hard work basically

heres that snapped stud

Last edited by Jaw91097; 03-30-2018 at 12:43 AM.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:09 AM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm guessin' your lookin' to do this stuff as cheap as possible? Do you have or can you get your hands on an air or electric hammer? They're great for getting rid of variegated rust and loosening old bolts. BTW, get some penetrating oil and soak that socket AND, if you got a proper sized phillips screwdriver, stick it thru the other end of the socket n pound her outta there. An old bolt of the appropriate dimensions will do as well. But I digress, also consider getting a map gas torch for stubborn bolts like this, heat soak those puppies (steer well clear of plastic, electric AND gas related stuff), especially when they love the spot they're in a little too much.
On a side note...invest in electric or pneumatic tools if/as you can afford them. They're life and time savers. Electric seems to be the wave of the future, AND, as a bonus, you don't need a compressor. But electric tools cost the bigger bucks per tool an average, but the prices are coming down. The other side of the argument is pneumatic, these days, compressors and tool prices have come WAAAY down due to places like wally world and harbor freight. I personally use the 21 gallon HF compressor. The one no one seems to like, 'cause it won't start most times if it's on an extension cord. But I'm cheap and a tinkerer, so I mod'ed mine, works fine now. Anyhow, a decent sized air compressor and air tools, you'll find that this will be of the best investments you'll make in automotive/home tools over your lifetime, especially if you envision continuing to do your own work.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:28 PM
Jaw91097
Veteran
Old 03-30-2018, 07:52 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

broken flexplate?

Old 03-30-2018, 08:42 PM
Jaw91097
Veteran

Originally Posted by racefan41
broken flexplate?
Possible, but I hope you're wrong... I'm thinking about buying a beater until I can get this back on the road.
https://peoria.craigslist.org/cto/d/...545539986.html

Cheap trucks are my thing haha

Old 03-30-2018, 09:20 PM
GreenRam5.2
Rookie

does it change in gear with the brakes on? sounds a bit like loose flex plate to torque converter bolts. easy and free to check just pop off the inspection cover and check to see if one is loose.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:21 PM
GreenRam5.2
Rookie

oh yeah next time you have a tight manifold nut like that use a little heat, saves a lot of heartache.

Quick Reply: 1997 4WD 5.9/5.9 Swap