3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

AC refrigerant capacity and AC condensor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 07:07 PM
Smokeykurt
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC refrigerant capacity and AC condensor replacement

Well guys, I'm a dummy. I was putting in a new radiator support in my 2005 Dodge Dakota (3.7L, 4WD), and while doing it, I damaged the AC condenser (fragile POS lol). The refrigerant is currently leaking out as I type this

Well, anyway, I'm about to buy the condenser: https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-A-C-Cond...6/261212846320

Is the AC low pressure port the one right next to the coolant fill? What is the refrigerant capacity? Is there anything special I have to look out for while replacing the condenser? Looks like just the 2 bolts connecting the lines to the condenser and then the 4 screws/bolts connecting it for support. Is there anything special that I need to add to the 2 bolts/connections for the lines (a sealant or anything? or is it just bolt it on?). I haven't worked on the AC end of things much beyond just adding refrigerant, so any advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance and feel free to make fun of me for being too rough with the AC condenser...

Last edited by Smokeykurt; 05-26-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:30 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

the system capacity is 1.37lbs r134a
you need to add 1 oz of pag oil to the system for oil balancing. each major component has oil trapped in it; the oil moves throught the system in suspension with the refridgerant. 1 oz is the amount that resides in the condener

do not add sealant; fix it right. if you ever need a professional to work on the a/c system...the sealant damages their $5000 equipment. if the machines purity test shows containation...they will refuse to work on your vehicle.

there are 2 service ports. the one on the large diameter line is the low side port. the one on the small diameter line is the high side service fitting. somepeople recommend changing the accumulator/receiver drier is the system has been open and the dessicant moisture ladden.

change the part, use new seals, vacuum the system, add the oil and charge the system.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:53 PM
Smokeykurt
Rookie

Awesome stuff sir! I didn't even know PAG oil was a thing until now and I'll avoid the sealant side of things. I'm not seeing a port on a large diameter line. Is this the low side port attached to the accumulator?: https://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/A...34426_2007.jpg

Old 05-26-2018, 11:17 PM
primem
Record Breaker

yes...accumulator is low side.

Old 05-27-2018, 02:13 PM
Smokeykurt
Rookie

Thank you sir, very helpful. Another silly question. Is the vacuum/tubes/gauges etc something I can get from advanced auto parts or autozones rent a tool program? If not, would this suffice? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Xtremepow...ctor/193233038

I need to do some stuff on the AC of one of our other vehicles anyway and i'm tempted to just buy the pump and such. Although if I could rent/return something similar I might just do that to save a couple bucks. Thoughts?

Old 05-27-2018, 06:21 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokeykurt
Thank you sir, very helpful. Another silly question. Is the vacuum/tubes/gauges etc something I can get from advanced auto parts or autozones rent a tool program? If not, would this suffice? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Xtremepow...ctor/193233038

I need to do some stuff on the AC of one of our other vehicles anyway and i'm tempted to just buy the pump and such. Although if I could rent/return something similar I might just do that to save a couple bucks. Thoughts?
Thats a descent price on the walmart unit. I went down to harbor freight with a 20% off coupon and got the vac pump there, then hit the pawn shop for a set of gauges for $20. Which isn't much less than the deal you posted.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:21 PM
primem
Record Breaker

if i could buy a kit in canada for that price...i would snap it up. Everything is double the cost up here.

Old 06-01-2018, 04:01 PM
Smokeykurt
Rookie

Cool stuff. I'll pick up that unit then. Seems worth it since I'll be using it at least twice on two vehicle shortly after getting it. Then I'll have it around if I need to do AC work on one of our cars or a relatives cars in the future.

Looking at the 2005 Dakota Service Manual, it references ND8 oil..it looks like that is the same as PAG46 oil then? Is that correct?

Old 06-03-2018, 12:24 PM
primem
Record Breaker

not sure...google it

Old 06-03-2018, 10:03 PM
Smokeykurt
Rookie

Originally Posted by primem
not sure...google it
Oh, I did. That's why I said it looks like it's PAG46 equivalent. A couple charts online I found indicated that. I'm probably just being overly tentative as this is my first time doing AC work (instead of just tossing in a can of refrigerant here or there lol). I put the condenser in with all new seals/gaskets and I was able to get the vacuum and gauges from Autozone's rent a tool program (I was gonna buy them, and maybe I will at some point, but free sounded pretty good). I'm gonna do the vacuum and all that this week. Thanks again for the help!

Quick Reply: AC refrigerant capacity and AC condensor replacement