2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Still fighting my rough idle.... need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 07:02 PM
Cale1987
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still fighting my rough idle.... need suggestions

finally got my 01 ram back on the road 5.9 auto has a bad miss or stumble at idle and very low throttle like backing out of the driveway or slow acceleration. After that runs without a hit all the way up to 80mph. Parts replaced........
plugs, wires cap, rotor, cam sensor, coolant temp sensor, both 02 sensors, intake manifold gasket, iac and throttle possition sensor on the throttle body codes given......
p0300
p0303
p0304
p0134
p0442

side note truck runs no better actually worse under very slight acceleration from when I got it I’m lost frustrated.... winter almost here and to damn cold to work on it.... please help lol

Old 10-14-2018, 07:31 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Did you check for vacuum leaks? Tell me about the cold and I still have 75% of a lift kit to put on.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:06 PM
wrnchbndr
Professional

Dirty injectors maybe -- Bad spray pattern to one cylinder and most noticeable at an idle and low loads. I read what the service manual says about testing the injectors and it isn't much help except for injectors that have totally failed and it doesn't sound like it addressed compromised/dirty injectors at all. It could be that Dodge has a lot of faith that the injectors will never have this problem. Maybe someone else can provide some help with injector testing. I wouldn't pursue this idea with swaptronics. -- too expensive. I don't have much faith in gas tank additives but some do. Fuel injector cleaner???
Its not going to hurt pulling open a few connectors and hitting the electrical contacts with some contact cleaner. Disconnect the battery before you do. Pull the ASD relay and clean the contacts along with the individual fuel injector connectors and the connectors on the PCM. A can of electrical contact cleaner is cheap. If you can do this on a warm day its better because you can break connectors when its cold and the plastic in more brittle. Also check all of the grounds you can find by loosening the bolts and tightening them up again -- when you think you've done them all you'll probably find a few more if you look again. Doing exactly this fixed a problem I was having.
A compression test is warranted for sure as a cracked intake valve or bad seat would do exactly as you describe. Renting a compression gauge is worth it if you don't have one. Did you look at the uniformity of color on all of the old spark plugs? On occasion, one can look ****ty just because the plug itself or its wire was compromised but one or two odd looking plugs can certainly be a sign of something wrong. Compression tests don't lie and a good result would give you peace of mind. I mention intake valve because a bad one can seriously disturb the airflow in the intake manifold and can also be more noticeable at an idle or low load.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:19 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Unplug the front 02 sensor, see if it runs any better.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:09 PM
Cale1987

I feel your pain brother!! Good luck to both of us hopefully lol

Old 10-16-2018, 07:28 AM
Cale1987

All 8 injectors are new brand new.... I tried the front o2 even though I’ve repaced them and I’ve searched grounds only thing I haven’t done is clean connectors.... next weekend she goes to my buddy’s house for compression and leak down check that won’t lie and maybe I’ll be able to quit throwing money at this issue

Quick Reply: Still fighting my rough idle.... need suggestions