3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Unusual Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 09:07 PM
thelaminator
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unusual Noise

I have a lowered 2004 dodge 1500 4x4 hemi rumble bee.
And the noise is as if I have over sized deep tread tires. You know the noise, the humming that gets loader
the faster you go and as you slow down the noise wines down, but it's not clanging. Besides that I need ball joints on driver side
and I have a power steering leak. The wheel bearings are fine, the fluids in both rears are good, front fluid is darker.
I just don't know where to check next or what I'm looking for. There's no noise in the steering going left to right.
Other than that the truck drives great

2004 Rumble Bee

If someone could give me an idea what and where to look for I would really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Rick

Old 12-19-2018, 10:15 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

If is is speed sensitive, and is there whether you are on the gas or not, then it's either tires, or bearings. The noise doesn't change if you turn hard?

Old 12-20-2018, 07:26 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

Also check the pinion seal, and check if it is slinging fluid.

Old 12-22-2018, 01:45 AM
FaceDeAce
Veteran
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Had the same type of sound that was tough to zero in on. Bothered the hell out of me as I am really in tune with all sounds the truck makes and I am quick to pickup on anything new. It was driving me nuts. At first I suspected a wheel bearing hub but I could not get it to make noticeable change in noise in high speed turns on the highway. I was at the point of making plans to tear out the transfer case, the transmission, and the front diff to find which dangit bearing in there to replace. (older truck and mileage getting up there). Big job, with no time and minimal budget, was not looking forward to it.

Since it wasn't at the "something is badly wrong" stage yet I decided to just ignore it. Figuring eventually it will reveal itself more clearly. I was right to wait. It took 8 months and a couple of long trips until it finally got loud enough and finally gave the cornering whirring needed to confirm what it was. Passenger front wheel bearing hub. Replaced it, 2 hours on the driveway, all is quiet and silky smooth again. The truck is just over 200,00km now. Is on the 3rd set of front wheel bearings, both sides. You say your bearings are good, not necessarily, don't count on it.

Glad I waited for the truck to give me clearer signals before tearing into unnecessary work. Most times, it pays back to be patient.

Perhaps start with what you know. Get the ball joints done and a professional alignment done. It just might actually be the tires making the sound from ball joints allowing things to be off camber. Go from there ....

Nice Bee by the way! Beautiful truck.

Last edited by FaceDeAce; 12-23-2018 at 01:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Unusual Noise