3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No front right turn signal

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 04:03 PM
CoenMeinema
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solved: No front right turn signal (06-08)

Hi all,

Since a couple of days my front right turn signal is out. Checked the light, fuses 14-16 and all good. Rear right signal works, but blinks fast. When in hazard lights the right rear blinks normally, but nothing in the front. Towing light comes from the right front lamp (different in Europe) and also doesn’t work. Seems there is no power to the front right light.

Any ideas where to search next?

Last edited by CoenMeinema; 04-12-2019 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Solved
Old 03-21-2019, 04:41 PM
72rtchallenger
Professional
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CoenMeinema
Hi all,

Since a couple of days my front right turn signal is out. Checked the light, fuses 14-16 and all good. Rear right signal works, but blinks fast. When in hazard lights the right rear blinks normally, but nothing in the front. Towing light comes from the right front lamp (different in Europe) and also doesn’t work. Seems there is no power to the front right light.

Any ideas where to search next?
I would check for voltage to make sure of power or not,,clean socket for good grounding ,,replace the bulb if you haven't,,if there is actually no power start tracing the wires back,,I know on my 2004 ram there is a FCM module on back of fuse box under hood that controls all my lights but if yours is newer then it has a Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) which could be an issue but first check voltage with a multi-meter first and trace wires for shorts

Old 03-21-2019, 04:59 PM
CoenMeinema

Mine is an 07 so it has the TIPM.

In Europe it’s required to have a turn signal on the front wing as well. This wire is connected to the positive and negative from the right front signal, and also doesn’t work. Replaced all the bulbs with spares, no success. Checked for loose wires, nothing.could there be a shortage not in the socket, but in the socket connector(s)? Haven’t checked that yet.

Am I correct the fuses should be 14-16? If one of these was broken, the rear shouldn’t work as well?

Old 03-21-2019, 06:18 PM
72rtchallenger
Professional

Mine is an 07 so it has the TIPM.

In Europe it’s required to have a turn signal on the front wing as well. This wire is connected to the positive and negative from the right front signal, and also doesn’t work. Replaced all the bulbs with spares, no success. Checked for loose wires, nothing.could there be a shortage not in the socket, but in the socket connector(s)? Haven’t checked that yet.

Am I correct the fuses should be 14-16? If one of these was broken, the rear shouldn’t work as well?
I cant answer you on fuses since mine is an 04 , but it sounds right , I would turn the signal on an check for voltage in the socket as well as the wires going to the socket , maybe check the voltage on the opposite side so you know what the reading should be an compare to the one your having issues with ,, do you have a diagram for the plugs that go to the TIPM ? A pin out diagram may help you with checking plugs off the TIPM

Old 03-23-2019, 06:18 AM
CoenMeinema

So, I was able to do a small test yesterday. I’ve hooked up the front right lights through the trailer plug on the left blinker. And, the lights on the front right work.

Seems to me there are a couple of options:
1. Cable break somewhere between the front lights and the TIPM.
2. TIPM not sending a right front turn signal.
3. Multi function switch bad.

Does anyone know if the switch is sending out a separate front and back signal? Or is it just sending one signal and the TIPM arranges it to front and back. Since the right rear blinker is working, I would assume it’s either option 1 or 2.
Any thoughts?

Old 03-23-2019, 10:38 AM
72rtchallenger
Professional

So, I was able to do a small test yesterday. I’ve hooked up the front right lights through the trailer plug on the left blinker. And, the lights on the front right work.

Seems to me there are a couple of options:
1. Cable break somewhere between the front lights and the TIPM.
2. TIPM not sending a right front turn signal.
3. Multi function switch bad.

Does anyone know if the switch is sending out a separate front and back signal? Or is it just sending one signal and the TIPM arranges it to front and back. Since the right rear blinker is working, I would assume it’s either option 1 or 2.
Any thoughts?

Dodge is crazy on some of this crap , on my 04 the turn signals front an rear an left to right are different voltage wires from my fuse box which is more of a PCM power control module compared to yours which is a total integrated power module TIPM and I would say you also have different voltage wires left to right an front to back as well .., I have heard there is a reset on the TIPM when a bulb burns out and is replaced , supposedly its a safety thing to protect the circuit , you would need a scan tool for that to reset or have dealer do it , the multi function switch could be possible ,,if you have a good scan tool might help , , any codes thrown ?
I have a pin out diagram for my plugs on the bottom of PCM but yours would not match mine , but a pin out diagram for the plugs could help you determine if its the TIPM as you could check voltage from there that goes to your front signal bulb ,
I got good pin out diagrams on a good manual I bought on a cd from ebay and has been very helpful in lining out many issues my truck was having ,

Old 03-25-2019, 02:00 PM
CoenMeinema

So, got a little bit further. I hoped it was a faulty wire somewhere to the front. I ran a temporary wire to the front signals, put the car on contact and flicked the switch. Somehow the blinker keeps flashing quickly.
I hoped the load on the wire would fix the fast blinking, unfortunately it didn’t. When putting the alarm lights on, the right signal flashes normal, only when normal turn signal light is on it flashes quick.
Do I have to ‘cut’ the original wire to the front turn signal to make this work? Or is there a way to reset the TIPM or something?
Not sure where the problem might be now..

Old 03-26-2019, 01:46 PM
CoenMeinema

Got it figured out. There seems to be a cable somewhere from the TIPM to the light that broke down. Apparently there was another connection that didn’t do what it should do, hence no working light.
Trying to fix it next week, any tips on that? Would it be wise to lay a new wire from the TIPM or try to repair the broken wire?

Old 04-12-2019, 11:37 AM
CoenMeinema

Problem solved. After checking all the wires from the TIPM to the light there was nothing wrong.
Last resort: open the TIPM and check for faulty things. There was one soldering from the right front turn signal bad, which caused the light to not work. Resoldered and the light started working again.

Thanks for your input!

Old 04-12-2019, 08:13 PM
72rtchallenger
Professional

Problem solved. After checking all the wires from the TIPM to the light there was nothing wrong.
Last resort: open the TIPM and check for faulty things. There was one soldering from the right front turn signal bad, which caused the light to not work. Resoldered and the light started working again.

Thanks for your input!
Glad you posted the fix and that you got it going, I chased a bunch of issues like that on my truck , I am down to one more issue and I think its a shorted out 5v wire to ground , but I have a good idea of were to look,

Quick Reply: No front right turn signal