4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

To upgrade or not to upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 07:48 AM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default To upgrade or not to upgrade

I'm looking at upgrading. Currently have a 05 2500 qcsb 5.7 nv4500 4x4 79,800 miles. Body and frame are rotting. I DO NOT have the room to buy a donor and swap everything over. I've been looking at the power wagons, but I'm not very fond of the auto trans. And I don't really have a use for a diesel. Won't be a daily, but I need at least a 3/4 ton or bigger to haul my 30' triaxle enclosed car trailer. I got some questions. Are the new trans still problematic??
What are problematic on the 4th gen 3/4, 1 ton trucks?? I have had 0 trouble with my 05, occasional u joint, wheel hub, clutch but was easy to fix. I really like the power wagons, I found a few low miles, decent price below $40,000 with 20,000 to 30,000 miles. I just want some feedback from owners with their experience. Thanks.

Last edited by rebeltaz83; 04-19-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

It's all about in how they are treated/maintained. If the truck was taken care of, it should last a good long time. (assuming YOU take care of it as well. ) If it was beat on, well, not so much. Friend of mine has a 2010 2500, well over 100k miles, and he has not had ANY problems with it, and he regularly pulls a 35' fifth wheel camper.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:57 AM
rebeltaz83
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
It's all about in how they are treated/maintained. If the truck was taken care of, it should last a good long time. (assuming YOU take care of it as well. ) If it was beat on, well, not so much. Friend of mine has a 2010 2500, well over 100k miles, and he has not had ANY problems with it, and he regularly pulls a 35' fifth wheel camper.
I take care of my stuff. Regular oil changes, greasing, lube hinges latches, check over every 3,000 miles. Wife's nitro has over 130,000 only a clutch, and just recently a water pump. Besides brakes, and wearable items it's been a good vehicle. I haven't owned an auto in over 15 years. Well besides my 91 with the Magnum swap lol. But I just started driving it since I bought it 2 years ago. It won't get beat on, I got my toys for that. Just occasionally driven to town, and some towing/hauling. I'd prefer 4 wheel, you just never know. I've had my 05 for 5 years and never used it, but i'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. All power wagons are 4 wheel anyway. I'd buy a Cummins for the straight drive, but to me it's just a waste. They are gonna need oil changes even sitting so I'd rather have the cheaper oil change with the gas, and parts are less expensive. Why do people automatically add $10,000 to a price of a 18 year old truck with 300,000 miles because it has a Cummins?? I don't understand. Maybe it's just me. I guess diesel is the thing now.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Originally Posted by rebeltaz83
I take care of my stuff. Regular oil changes, greasing, lube hinges latches, check over every 3,000 miles. Wife's nitro has over 130,000 only a clutch, and just recently a water pump. Besides brakes, and wearable items it's been a good vehicle. I haven't owned an auto in over 15 years. Well besides my 91 with the Magnum swap lol. But I just started driving it since I bought it 2 years ago. It won't get beat on, I got my toys for that. Just occasionally driven to town, and some towing/hauling. I'd prefer 4 wheel, you just never know. I've had my 05 for 5 years and never used it, but i'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. All power wagons are 4 wheel anyway. I'd buy a Cummins for the straight drive, but to me it's just a waste. They are gonna need oil changes even sitting so I'd rather have the cheaper oil change with the gas, and parts are less expensive. Why do people automatically add $10,000 to a price of a 18 year old truck with 300,000 miles because it has a Cummins?? I don't understand. Maybe it's just me. I guess diesel is the thing now.
That's been a diesel thing for quite some time. Folks see that word on their truck, and think it triples the value.... Trouble is, they are pretty much correct. That is the major reason I don't even bother looking for them.

Yeah, the Power Wagon is 4x4, plus, it believe it has electric lockers front and rear. (which means, you can get REALLY deep into the bush before you get stuck. ) I use my 4x4 quite frequently during the winter...... I won't buy a truck without it.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:41 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That's been a diesel thing for quite some time. Folks see that word on their truck, and think it triples the value.... Trouble is, they are pretty much correct. That is the major reason I don't even bother looking for them.

Yeah, the Power Wagon is 4x4, plus, it believe it has electric lockers front and rear. (which means, you can get REALLY deep into the bush before you get stuck. ) I use my 4x4 quite frequently during the winter...... I won't buy a truck without it.
I really want the 4.10 gears. I think all power wagons have the 4.10s. my current 05 has 4.10s, it's a beast down low, plus the granny gear I had no trouble pulling my 30' trailer weighing in just shy of 9,000lbs through the mountains South through West Virginia, NC.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:53 AM
rebeltaz83
Veteran

No power wagon owners in here?? I didn't think they were that rare. I've seen a few on the road.

Quick Reply: To upgrade or not to upgrade