3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Bumper Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 04:05 PM
ArchieIce
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bumper Scratch

My daughter pulled my car into the garage but didn't pull up far enough then shut the garage door. 3 1/2 years with this car and not a nick on it. Ugh!
Any tips on what to do for a quick cheap fix? I do not want to have the entire rear bumper painted.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:29 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

thats through the paint in a couple spots (you can see the black plastic underneath). you can try buffing out the parts which still have paint on it, but dont expect perfection. It needs to be touched up to hide the bare plastic too (my experience with touchup paint is not pretty). Shy of replacing (or repainting, but if you repaint the bumper the thicker paint is more prone to cracking) the bumper there arent any options for a perfect repair, buff it out as best you can, touch up the black if it bothers you and move on.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:05 PM
DDCREW
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There were times I saw an outfit touching up bumpers at the dealership, where they were just fixing scratches without repainting the whole bumper. Ask your dealer who do they use for such bumper repair and then contact them to see what they say.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:27 PM
ArchieIce
Rookie

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
thats through the paint in a couple spots (you can see the black plastic underneath). you can try buffing out the parts which still have paint on it, but dont expect perfection. It needs to be touched up to hide the bare plastic too (my experience with touchup paint is not pretty). Shy of replacing (or repainting, but if you repaint the bumper the thicker paint is more prone to cracking) the bumper there arent any options for a perfect repair, buff it out as best you can, touch up the black if it bothers you and move on.

Originally Posted by DDCREW
There were times I saw an outfit touching up bumpers at the dealership, where they were just fixing scratches without repainting the whole bumper. Ask your dealer who do they use for such bumper repair and then contact them to see what they say.

So I took it to a local shop we use at work, it's a small body shop that is local. The guy is a wizard and surprisingly said he'd repaint it for only $100. He said the whole bumper does not need to be repainted. He told me that solid colors you have to paint 12 inches on each side, but with metallic paints, you need to go at least 24 inches out on each side, my paint has metallic in it. I will post pictures tomorrow when I get it back.
Happy it was only a $100

Last edited by ArchieIce; 05-23-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:07 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

If it turns out well, that will be one heck of a deal for you! At $100 he's not making much, if any money. Materials alone would cost you close to that. Their small shop apparently has their own paint mixing system for him to be able to do it for that price.

-Rod

Old 05-24-2019, 01:27 PM
ArchieIce
Rookie

Originally Posted by SHO Rod
If it turns out well, that will be one heck of a deal for you! At $100 he's not making much, if any money. Materials alone would cost you close to that. Their small shop apparently has their own paint mixing system for him to be able to do it for that price.

-Rod
Car is there now. I will post a picture when I get it back.
He is good, really good. Check out his Instagram @eastautobodyinc

Old 05-24-2019, 04:29 PM
ArchieIce
Rookie

Got it back and it looks like new! Dropped it off at 9am and got it back at 1pm. $100 and I am stoked!

Old 05-28-2019, 06:54 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

thats awesome! glad that you found a nice, easy, affordable repair for it!

Old 05-28-2019, 08:09 AM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

That's pretty awesome! Hang on to that guy's contact information!!! Congratulations on the great repair.

-Rod

Old 05-28-2019, 09:58 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Hopefully you took that out of your daughters allowance....

Quick Reply: Bumper Scratch