3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Trans cooling question

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 04:14 PM
pilotsmack
Professional
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Trans cooling question

Well summer is here. After seeing the Trans Hot light a couple times in heavy bumper-to-bumper traffic on a hot day, I decided to revamp the trans cooling. Never have liked that the radiator cools both the engine and the trans, so I switched to a Derale 13504 as my standalone trans cooling. Test drive today, it was 5 degrees C warmer than a drive I take regularly, and the trans ran 6 degrees cooler - great success!

During installation, I noticed something - there wasn't a whole lot of fluid that came out of the trans portion of the radiator, so I started to think: How much of the radiator is actually used to cool the trans? Nothing major - more just a curiosity.

Might be time to do the radiator soon though - had a tiny leak from the bottom left of the rad - it is definitely ATF. Even though I'm not using those channels for cooling anymore, I still don't like that a crack has started.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Cooler in the radiator isn't real big, it's essentially just a tube with fins running up inside the end cap of the radiator. For the most part, it doesn't need to be real big, as a fluid to water cooler is MUCH more efficient than a fluid to air cooler. (which is why the add-on coolers tend to be much bigger)

That said, considering where you live, your trans should NEVER get hot, regardless of what you are doing. Think I might be tempted to flush the trans cooler lines out, and make sure you are getting good flow thru it.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:44 PM
pilotsmack
Professional

Fair point. The fluids and filters are due in 10k, might do them a little early once I get my new shop set up.

Thanks, was more just a curiosity about the radiator.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

New shop? We want pics.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:57 PM
pilotsmack
Professional

Haha we take possession on the 3rd... I convinced the missus we need 220 and a tire changer and balancer. She got her kitchen, I got my shop! Pics when it's done lol

Old 06-26-2019, 07:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by pilotsmack
Haha we take possession on the 3rd... I convinced the missus we need 220 and a tire changer and balancer. She got her kitchen, I got my shop! Pics when it's done lol
LOLOL. Awesome! Lookin' forward to seeing it.

Quick Reply: Trans cooling question