3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram 1500 vin

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 05:11 AM
SCRUBdesignz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram 1500 vin

Hey Guys, new here..... just looking for a little help! Spend weeks and weeks on this, getting nowhere! 2008 RAM 1500 Longbed, (yes, ya'll hate them, but perfect for our motocross activities!).
Here in Slovakia, we have a bi-annual inspection.... I've had the truck for 8 years, now... rules have changed, I need to show the VIN on the chassis. Yes, it's in the window, but, here in Europe, not acceptable. Damn, I have 3 American cars, so this is just the start.
Does anyone know if, and where this number might be located? If it even exists? I'm here scratching my head. I have to book the vehicle in 3 months in advance for these inspections, 3 weeks remain, so I have to sort something!!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 07-22-2019, 10:25 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Vin is on the sticker with tire pressure recommendations on the driver door. Vin is also on a sticker in the glove box. At one point, Dodge had either the whole vin or partial on the transmission case... Used to be, on the muscle car era, the sequence numbers were stamped into the trunk under the gasket, and on the radiator core support... but I don't think they did continued to do that.

Old 07-23-2019, 01:05 AM
SCRUBdesignz

Thank you so much fj5gtx for the reply!! Now, I'm fully aware of the 'sticker' situation, this note is on many forum pages on the subject, but here in Europe, the authorities laugh at a 'sticker'. This is so easy to fake. We need stamping in the chassis (frame) only. Nothing else is acceptable!! If I cannot produce it, My beloved RAM is literally SCRAP. That's the laws here. They don't want American vehicles on the roads here.

Old 07-23-2019, 01:06 AM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

This is about all I could find for where it could be (I know about the windshield location). Maybe it's somewhere on the hood or inside the engine bay? Also could be on some parts below the vehicle that you may not be able to see that well...

Old 07-23-2019, 01:09 AM
SCRUBdesignz

Thank you for this.... yes, the windsheild one, they won't accept. Yes, it works for millions of Americans, and their strict enforcement, but, not here in Slovakia!! It much be on the chassis only.... Frame, they will not accept anything less.

Old 07-23-2019, 01:15 AM
Alex Medeiros
Captain

Originally Posted by SCRUBdesignz
Thank you for this.... yes, the windsheild one, they won't accept. Yes, it works for millions of Americans, and their strict enforcement, but, not here in Slovakia!! It much be on the chassis only.... Frame, they will not accept anything less.
That's a bummer :/. I've only heard that it could possibly be stamped on the transmission or possibly the engine. I wonder if they stamped it on the frame itself...

Old 07-23-2019, 01:34 AM
KDodge75
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unfortunately, you're going to have to search for them. What you are looking for are confidential vin numbers that law enforcement uses to track stolen or chopped vehicles. They might be a partial number but should correspond to the last several numbers of the VIN.

Last edited by KDodge75; 07-23-2019 at 01:40 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:38 AM
SCRUBdesignz

Originally Posted by KDodge75
Unfortunately, you're going to have to search for them. What you are looking for are confidential vin numbers that law enforcement uses to track stolen or chopped vehicles. Theu might be a partial number but should correspond to the last several numbers of the VIN.
Yes, I guessed!! It's odd, as I'm from Australia, where VIN numbers are proudly displayed... having hidden, makes no sense. Here in Europe, the VIN is clearly stamped in the chassis for all to see. In the USA, seems hidden is the go, but, for criminals in 'the trade', of course, they know where they are! A chassis is only so big! If they're in it seriously, they know where to find them!!

Old 07-23-2019, 01:52 AM
Alex Medeiros
Captain

Yes, I guessed!! It's odd, as I'm from Australia, where VIN numbers are proudly displayed... having hidden, makes no sense. Here in Europe, the VIN is clearly stamped in the chassis for all to see. In the USA, seems hidden is the go, but, for criminals in 'the trade', of course, they know where they are! A chassis is only so big! If they're in it seriously, they know where to find them!!
Yah it's kind of a sucky situation... if i'm not mistaken here in the states, there are some car companies that put the VIN everywhere, like Honda for example... they typically put a sticker on big parts like fenders + bumpers and such if I remember correctly... don't quote me on that

The following users liked this post:
SCRUBdesignz (07-23-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 11:00 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 574 Likes on 520 Posts

Hey Guys, new here..... just looking for a little help! Spend weeks and weeks on this, getting nowhere! 2008 RAM 1500 Longbed, (yes, ya'll hate them, but perfect for our motocross activities!).
Here in Slovakia, we have a bi-annual inspection.... I've had the truck for 8 years, now... rules have changed, I need to show the VIN on the chassis. Yes, it's in the window, but, here in Europe, not acceptable. Damn, I have 3 American cars, so this is just the start.
Does anyone know if, and where this number might be located? If it even exists? I'm here scratching my head. I have to book the vehicle in 3 months in advance for these inspections, 3 weeks remain, so I have to sort something!!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
I would contact Fiat/Chrysler and ask them where it is. The VIN is on the dash, visible through the windshield (so a police officer doesn't have to get a warrant here in the States to check it), on a decal in the door jamb, on the engine and transmission and quite often each major body part. This is to track used parts that are sold. There are also hidden VIN's and that's what you need to ask Chrysler about. Back in the 80's when I ran a salvage operation, I could tell you. Today, not so much. The frame being a major component should have a VIN stamped on it. Maybe more than one. I seem to remember seeing one but I wasn't looking for it and didn't pay attention.

Quick Reply: Ram 1500 vin