2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 ram 1500 5.9 4wd ext cab short bed parts interchange

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2022, 11:31 PM
Tillvalhalla1488
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 98 ram 1500 5.9 4wd ext cab short bed parts interchange

So I've gotten a lot of confusion. I bought two parts trucks one extended cab 2001 4x4 1500 short bed 5.2 and one 2001 reg cab short bed 4x4 5.9. I bought these with intentions of having parts for my 98 Laramie. I'm finding a lot of conflicting information when it comes to using the axles or parts from axles on the 98. Confusion on difference in shafts and t cases. All the cases are the same as far as the plate on them is concerned. They all have y suspension with the same 46re transmission. The driveshafts look different from the reg cab models to extended which I expected but look the same for the extended cabs the 5.2 2001 and the 5.9 98. I'd just like to get some clarification before I find out the hard way as I did with the hub and bearings I pulled off the 01 and put onto my 98 got everything back together then couldn't get my 98 rotor on and couldn't figure out why.. looked up replacement and they are labeled different from 01 up. I'm reading tho all dana 44s In the front the 98 or I might have that backwards. One of them has tapered hubs or something of the sort. So my question is what can I use for the 98. I planned on saving the engine from the 01 short bed reg cab and rebuilding it as it's a 5.9 to replace mine next year. But I need drive line parts possibly transmission parts tcase and other parts which is why I bought the trucks.. how much usable parts am I really getting without swapping the whole axles and not just parts and what are the differences with that from reg cab to extended. I'm four trucks deep into this second gen rebuild life on some jump on the fly decisiona to buy so please help a dodge brother out

Old 10-30-2022, 10:02 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 125 Likes on 113 Posts

Dodge did a surprising number of running changes to the 2nd Gens. Most are relatively small but some are significant.

The most obvious is the break from '94-97 and '98-02. This was significant with dash and seats, but also I believe this was the break for shift pattern change for the t-case.

I believe '99 was the first year for a flange at the rear 9.25 pinion yoke rather than a traditional half-circle yoke

'99 (or 2000?) was the start of electric blend door rather than cable-actuated

The rear drum brake hardware also changed around '99 or 2000

Dodge kept moving the valve cover vents/PCV seemingly every year (exaggeration!!) but this is easily worked around or adapted.

Rear window glass went from a rubber seal to urethane around 2000. The cab is the same so you can fit an older seal to the later years, or you could glue in a later glass on an older cab (looks cleaner, more secure, major PITA to ever remove!)

There's more I'm forgetting. Also my memory isn't what it used to be so don't take my stated model years as gospel. If anyone disagrees with my data, I automatically concede THEY ARE CORRECT!

Last edited by Keith_L; 10-30-2022 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-30-2022, 10:09 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

Also of all things the main tube of the fuel filler neck increased in diameter at some point. I tried to fit a '96 to a '00 and it was too small

edit: front calipers went dual piston in '99 or '00 also causing changes in front rotors and wb hubs. Not sure when 4WABS came into play which also affects wb hubs of course

I service a '99 that used 9mm hex SHCSs for the caliper slider pins.. It was rare and only around '99 but I found other reports of this online

Last edited by Keith_L; 10-30-2022 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-30-2022, 10:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Yeah, 94-95 are OBDI, 96-97 are technically OBDII, but, more of a hybrid, 98 and up are indeed OBDII.

T-case shift pattern changed in 98, as did where the shifter for it mounts. 97 and older, it mounts to the trans, 98 and up, it mounts to the body.

Electronics in the trans changed for 2000. That is an easy conversion to go either way though.

Rear wheel speed sensor changed at some point as well, but, with minor modification, that is an easy workaround as well.

Vehicle speed sensor in the tailshaft housing went away in 98.

4WAL was an option for the entire run. Seems to be less common on the earlier trucks, but, fairly popular on the newer ones.

Seats/seat belts changed in 98, along with the cab floor. Dash also changed in 98, and again in 98.5..... Yeah, ain't that fun.

Old 10-30-2022, 12:08 PM
Tillvalhalla1488

So I have a 94 as well I just picked up almost the same as my 98 as it's a Laramie slt 5.9 long bed reg cab tho. I'm needing a cps on it I believe for it to run. Did those change over the years or should I be able to use the position sensor from the 2000 5.9 on it?. Also as far as the engines go did the major stuff stay the same say I need a water pump for the ,98 5.9 could I use the water pump off the ,2001 5.9 and the radiator. Most of the stuff under the hood on the 5.9s looked the same with a few exceptions. I plan on getting the 94 running as it's already had a rebuilt 46rh transmission and it's in much better driving shape then my 98. Then put the 98 in the garage over winter and swap what I can from the 2001s . I only got the 5.2 extended cab 01 because I figured I'd need some things from it being am.extended cab and my 98 is extended. Thank you for you information already like I said I definitely ran into the diffential hubs on the front from 98 to 01s. And I noticed the brake hardware on the front but I haven't gotten to the drums yet. I do plan on pulling the window from.the 01 extended cab and putting it In my 98 because it's the slider.

Old 10-30-2022, 12:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I think the connector changed....

Engines though, they are all basically the same, the differences were in the intake manifold. up to 95, they had EGR, 96 and newer didn't have it.

Old 10-30-2022, 02:58 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Tillvalhalla1488
So I have a 94 as well I just picked up almost the same as my 98 as it's a Laramie slt 5.9 long bed reg cab tho. I'm needing a cps on it I believe for it to run. Did those change over the years or should I be able to use the position sensor from the 2000 5.9 on it?. Also as far as the engines go did the major stuff stay the same say I need a water pump for the ,98 5.9 could I use the water pump off the ,2001 5.9 and the radiator. Most of the stuff under the hood on the 5.9s looked the same with a few exceptions. I plan on getting the 94 running as it's already had a rebuilt 46rh transmission and it's in much better driving shape then my 98. Then put the 98 in the garage over winter and swap what I can from the 2001s . I only got the 5.2 extended cab 01 because I figured I'd need some things from it being am.extended cab and my 98 is extended. Thank you for you information already like I said I definitely ran into the diffential hubs on the front from 98 to 01s. And I noticed the brake hardware on the front but I haven't gotten to the drums yet. I do plan on pulling the window from.the 01 extended cab and putting it In my 98 because it's the slider.
AFAIK water pumps are the same for all the Magnums. I think the 3.9 V6 used the same pump, too? Still, for the cost of a new pump I wouldn't bother trying to reuse one. I just installed an AC Delco from RA and one of the main reasons I got that one was the inclusion of the bypass tube. You can get the tubes separately from the Dorman Help section but sometimes you can find wp's that include them essentially for free.

But if money is tight.....obviously reuse what you have to.

Good luck cutting the glass out of an '01 without breaking it. Then again....I'm not a glass guy. I'd take it to a glass shop and ask them to remove it but from what little I've read on the internet even glass guys hate this because there's no guarantee they won't break it getting it out. I dunno.....any auto glass guys here?

Old 10-31-2022, 08:50 AM
Tillvalhalla1488

Money is tight and having four trucks around the same years almost all 5.9# I'd like to use what I can first. I understand some things just shouldn't be used. Now the crank sensor for the 94. I'm seeing it was changed in 97 the connection is different. Could I use one from a 98 or 01 and just cut the connection off the old one and wire it up or did the wiring change to or would that just not work. From what I seen they didn't add any features or wires in the sensors just changed the connection. Removing my radiator from the 98 today. Once I get some disconnect tools for the trans cooler lines. I'm suspecting the transmission might need some real attention it's always shifted kinda erradcily even with fluid. Now the fluid looks burnt and has bubbles in it but there isn't any leaks in the lines. Tho upon inspecting the radiator the bottom left hand side if your standing in front of the truck is chalk full of oil well what looks like oil but I suspect it's burnt trans fluid. Would replacing the radiator be enough to get that flowing or should I swap the trans cooler well I got it apart. The donor ,5.9 has a beautiful radiator and trans cooler hell the overflow is still the color of antifreeze as mine well looks like it's from Mars

Old 12-24-2022, 10:51 AM
Tillvalhalla1488

Originally Posted by Keith_L
AFAIK water pumps are the same for all the Magnums. I think the 3.9 V6 used the same pump, too? Still, for the cost of a new pump I wouldn't bother trying to reuse one. I just installed an AC Delco from RA and one of the main reasons I got that one was the inclusion of the bypass tube. You can get the tubes separately from the Dorman Help section but sometimes you can find wp's that include them essentially for free.

But if money is tight.....obviously reuse what you have to.

Good luck cutting the glass out of an '01 without breaking it. Then again....I'm not a glass guy. I'd take it to a glass shop and ask them to remove it but from what little I've read on the internet even glass guys hate this because there's no guarantee they won't break it getting it out. I dunno.....any auto glass guys here?
Is the bypass tube a necessary thing I have to replace? And does it go into the water pump. This is the first water pump I've done. It's below freezing here in Maine so I need whatever pump set up let's the truck get to operating temp the fastest and also delivers me heat.

Old 12-24-2022, 11:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

The are pretty much all the same regardless of year.... (within the second gen timespan.) Only difference would be v-belts vs, serpentine belt. Any new pump will come with the bypass fitting. The one that goes between the pump, and intake. The tube for the heater hose is a separate issue. Some come with it, some don't. The tube itself is available from your local parts store for 10 or 15 bucks though. Buy a good quality pump, (AC/Delco fits here....) and you will be fine.

Quick Reply: 98 ram 1500 5.9 4wd ext cab short bed parts interchange