2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Ram 2500 V10 Oil pressure issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2024, 06:36 PM
ClassicJoJo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Ram 2500 V10 Oil pressure issue

Hello all, I have a 8.0L V10. while driving, my oil pressure needle slammed all the way to the right, then to zero triggering the check gauges light, then back to the right. The truck didnt seem to run bad, or different, but the needle was going crazy. After some research, I replaced the oil pressure sensor. Now the needle seems to work correctly, but at idle, goes to zero and triggers the light again. If I throttle it, it will climb, the more throttle the higher it climbs, but if I stop at a stop sign, it goes back down to the "8psi" point I guess you can call it for idle then slams to zero and triggers the light. Could this be an oil pump issues? Any help would be great.

Last edited by ClassicJoJo; 05-06-2024 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-06-2024, 07:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,214 Likes on 2,965 Posts

When it drops to zero at idle, if you give it just a little bit of gas, does it jump right back up??

I would be REAL tempted to put a mechanical gauge on that, and see what oil pressure is REALLY doing. 8 PSI is too low for my tastes..... and I think the front timing covers are getting rather hard to find for these engines. (where the oil pump resides....) So, if you trash it, gonna be expensive to fix.

Old 05-09-2024, 01:27 PM
ClassicJoJo

Originally Posted by HeyYou
When it drops to zero at idle, if you give it just a little bit of gas, does it jump right back up??

I would be REAL tempted to put a mechanical gauge on that, and see what oil pressure is REALLY doing. 8 PSI is too low for my tastes..... and I think the front timing covers are getting rather hard to find for these engines. (where the oil pump resides....) So, if you trash it, gonna be expensive to fix.
Yes, when it drops to zero at idle, it will go back up when I give it gas. Say if I am driving, while accelerating the needle goes up, and climbs as I accelerate harder. If I stop at a stop sign, it will go down to "normal", then slam to zero triggering the check gauges light.

Do you know of any place to go to online that might have parts? I am looking for the Oil pickup tube for this truck as well.

Old 05-09-2024, 02:46 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 101 Likes on 96 Posts

Definitely get a mechanical pressure gauge on it. In a 2001 the needle is controlled by PCM messages and will move all the way to the left or right if the messages are way out of whack. It could be a wiring issue that makes the PCM read erratic values.

Old 05-10-2024, 06:52 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 352 Likes on 331 Posts

You could try the dash test to see if your gauge sweeps correctly.

Old 05-10-2024, 12:17 PM
ClassicJoJo

How do I do this?

Old 05-10-2024, 12:52 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 310 Likes on 292 Posts

Try this.. -

Quick Reply: 2001 Ram 2500 V10 Oil pressure issue