Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Heater a/c hose came off, engine over heated, is engine dead?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2024, 05:57 PM
Brandonkravchenko1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater a/c hose came off, engine over heated, is engine dead?

I have a 2000 ram van 5.2l. Today i got on the highway, wasnt driving more than 15 mins and i started to over heat. Couldnt figure out why let it cool off and decided to go home. Not a mile later my van dies via overheating and this time i noticed this hose is just hanging. For reference the hose comes off the pass side of the engine, splits after firewall and i believe this end goes down behind the pass headlight somewhere, the van still turns over, still sounds like it has 62k but theres obvious rattling / shaking in the engine area and it seems as it the compressor is the issue. It will not drive under its own power anymore though it dies the second i put it in gear and will only stay idling for 30 seconds at most. I had to leave because it was super hot today and i had two toddlers with me and couldnt figure out where the line was actually supposed to go. Im wondering if this is one of those things where everything else breaks when it happens or if i might be able to pay for a tow / ride, connect that line and get back on the road. Im a single parent so i absolutely have to have a car so if i do have to suck it up and buy something else it would be super helpful to know before i go off spending an arm and a leg just to not have a vehicle anyways. Here are pics for reference.

Also, water pump isnt making any noise or leaking but lower rad hose feels as if somethings in it, maybe its just part of the rad that the hose wraps around but idk. Not my profession

Old 06-26-2024, 09:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,267 Likes on 3,014 Posts

That's a vacuum line, likely goes to the vacuum ball down there you have circled in the pic.

Old 06-26-2024, 09:10 PM
Brandonkravchenko1

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That's a vacuum line, likely goes to the vacuum ball down there you have circled in the pic.
that much i knew. I was more so trying to figure out what systems it works in conjunction with directly and if said system was garbage because of it.

the answer is yes, its broken and its not worth fixing. I did get the line back in, in the middle of a nasty thunderstorm, and i drove about 3 miles before the internals blew. Getting a new car tomorrow

Old 06-26-2024, 09:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,267 Likes on 3,014 Posts

Internals blew?? Internals of what?

The vents in the van are vacuum power, along with the cruise control. Evap system also uses vacuum, but, I don't think it is tied in to the reservoir at all.

Old 06-26-2024, 10:37 PM
Brandonkravchenko1

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Internals blew?? Internals of what?

The vents in the van are vacuum power, along with the cruise control. Evap system also uses vacuum, but, I don't think it is tied in to the reservoir at all.

Ive never heard anybody refer to internals blowing in regards to anything other than the engine. That reservoir line from the res T’s off, one side into the engine and ill be honest i dont even know where the other side goes but the engine is blowni didnt overheat for more than ten minutes, and it was running like youd expect an engine w 62k on it to be running when i parked yesterday.

Quick Reply: Heater a/c hose came off, engine over heated, is engine dead?