2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

PCM replaced now new problems, are these all the same hardware?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2024, 08:03 PM
daddymav
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM replaced now new problems, are these all the same hardware?

Recently had an issue with the PCM overheating and the truck shutting off. Thought it was the fuel pump but traced it down to the PCM. Got a reman one ordered based on my VIN and it was an easy replacement. Now I burned up 2 alternators. The only thing I can think of is that it's something to do with the PCM.
My original one was a big beefy metal bound brick but the new one they sent me and alot of them I see are more narrow and maybe metal and plastic. I'm wondering if the hardware itself is different with the old one having a voltage regulator in it. This one will let the truck run fine, but the voltage shows near 8v when running and then will drop to zero (i think this is the thermal shutdown on the alternator). This happened on my original alternator and then a replacement alternator (only went about a mile before the alternator was smoking and toasted). Does anyone know if there was a change in the hardware of the pcm from the 2000 year model? I'm thinking this could be a redesign that fits and has the same programming but wont handle the voltage correctly. I even switched out with another identical reman box that is brand new and had the same issue.

Old 06-26-2024, 09:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Voltage regulator is in the PCM. Yep. If your original wasn't giving you any charging problems, then it likely IS the PCM that is smokin' 'em. What is your volt gauge showing at idle, and then at 1500 RPM?

Old 07-01-2024, 01:06 PM
Tom Martin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue with charging.I have had the alternator tested and of course it tested good.My voart the enginelt gauge reads around 11 volts when I first start it, but drops to 0. I have read the voltage with a meter, and is constantly arounf 11 volts. Bad PCM?

Old 07-01-2024, 01:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Yep. Bad PCM. (voltage regulator.)

Quick Reply: PCM replaced now new problems, are these all the same hardware?