3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

02 4.7l no codes black smoke

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:47 PM
Tknow53
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 4.7l no codes black smoke

Hello new to the forum and yes I'm a girl. Need some help figuring out what is going on with my truck. I have a 02 4.7l ram 1500 sport. When I bought the truck it would crank and throw codes for a misfire on several different cylinders. I put all new injectors, plugs and coil packs. Started throwing only one code for cylinder 2 p0352. Changed the coil pack now I have no codes. But it still smokes black soot out of exhaust and dies when idling when you are driving it has no power can only do about 25mph if your lucky barely goes up a hill. Could it be a stopped up exhaust system. Oh yeah I took the upstream O2:sensor loose and the readings on my scanner didn't change at all

Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,287 Likes on 3,034 Posts

Did you physically remove the 02 sensor from the exhaust? Could be a clogged cat.... could be a bad temp sensor as well. Will your scanner read live data??

Does it run ok at cold start, then start runnin' crappy after a couple minutes???

It's running rich. (black smoke) Need to figger out why.

Welcome to DF.

Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM
Tknow53
Default Yes runs bad after a couple of minutes

Thank you for getting back to me so quick yes it runs bad after a couple of minutes no I didn't take the O2 sensor off the upstairs one I just unplugged it it's not throwing any codes now like I said before I had misfires and then I had open circuit cylinder 2 and I've managed to get all the codes gone and drove it for a little bit can't get over 25 miles per hour the warmer it gets the worst it runs but what is happening when I'm driving it it gets worse but it also when it starts pulling the black suit out of the tailpipe it'll kind of get faster or go faster get a little bit more speed but then it builds up again or whatever is happening and it will slow back down I have a good scanner yes it does relive data what would you like to know about it
I can always take screenshots of the live data and send if I need to

Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM
Tknow53

Another symptom when I'm driving and I've got the scanner on it the live data most of the time it's reading closed loop but when it starts running real bad it'll read o l- driver

Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,287 Likes on 3,034 Posts

OL Drive is evap mode. That means the purge valve is open. Check the vacuum line from the valve, to the intake, see if there is charcoal, or gas.... in it.

Quick Reply: 02 4.7l no codes black smoke